Sign in to follow this  
Guest rdg

Mixing Texture Sizes - Can there be issues?

Guest rdg

Hi,I started having issues where my machine as it would reboot or drop out of FSX, and ocassionally, BSOD's. Although I had been running successfully for quite some time with a mild CPU and GPU OC, I had made many changes in textures over the past couple of weeks.I was using UTX, GEX, FEX, MegasceneryEarth, My Traffic etc. I had swapped between GEX/UTX and MegaSceneryEarth and had made many changes with FEX, and started having these issues which went from not so good to unusable. So I reinstalled and started from scratch. The only addon's I currently have installed is MegaSceneryEarth and MyTraffic. I am still using the same CPU and GPU OC's and all is smooth.My concern is that I really would like to substitute clouds, water and sky colors using FEX, but not sure if I am creating another situation. I do not know how FSX handles textures, especially when I would be using a mix of resolutions. I am not a big cloud fan so I thought I would use 128x128 but alsp wanted to use 512x512 water. Is this a problem mixing different resolutions, or, specifically problems associated with mixing FEX and MegaSceneryX ? I just did not want to risk another meltdown.RegardsBob G

Hi Bob. I am using FEX, GEX, UTX, MegaScenery Earth, and the regular MegaScenery titles and have no problem with the different sizes in textures. In FEX I have different size clouds textures for the cirrus, cumulus, and stratus. Plus different sizes for the water textures. Then in UTX there are different sizes for the road textures. The only thing in FEX that I don't use are the HD Clouds that were at a res of 4086 or something to that effect because of two reasons. First, I couldn't really tell too much difference between those and the regular size and secondly because you have to manually set the size then if you even change the FPS counter or a variety of other settings in FSX it resets the texture size back to default. I got tired of always having to open the cfg and put it back so I just installed the default size EX cloud textures.All in all, having a variety of different size textures makes no difference in my sim at all. If you are having BSOD's or CTD's it could be from a variety of driver issues, overclock instability, or something to do with a particular scenery, airport, or plane you are using. However, I am running a variety of these in my sig and having no problems. Good luck.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest rdg
Hi Bob. I am using FEX, GEX, UTX, MegaScenery Earth, and the regular MegaScenery titles and have no problem with the different sizes in textures. In FEX I have different size clouds textures for the cirrus, cumulus, and stratus. Plus different sizes for the water textures. Then in UTX there are different sizes for the road textures. The only thing in FEX that I don't use are the HD Clouds that were at a res of 4086 or something to that effect because of two reasons. First, I couldn't really tell too much difference between those and the regular size and secondly because you have to manually set the size then if you even change the FPS counter or a variety of other settings in FSX it resets the texture size back to default. I got tired of always having to open the cfg and put it back so I just installed the default size EX cloud textures.All in all, having a variety of different size textures makes no difference in my sim at all. If you are having BSOD's or CTD's it could be from a variety of driver issues, overclock instability, or something to do with a particular scenery, airport, or plane you are using. However, I am running a variety of these in my sig and having no problems. Good luck.
Thanks a bunch. That is what I thought. I did do one thing and have not had a problem in about 5 hours of flying. I reinstalled my forceware drivers, but this time after uninstalling, I booted in safe mode and ran a driver cleaner. Never thought that this could be the culprit. I should have been doing this all the while. Everything is smooth for now. Thanks for chiming in!RegardsBob G