Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

Replace the Gold grass around airports.

Hello everyone.Thanks to LuisFelizTirado, I was able to find a fix for the Gold Airport / grass. Not very realistic, at least for us mortals, maybe Billy flies into the Gold plated Airports that we do not get access to? I included the texture, in case any of you want to do the same mod."142b2su3.bmp" Darker greenSee pics below with the Gold, Real and the green texture.To get the change all you have to do is Save / Copy your original file "142b2su3.bmp" found in …..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Scenery\World\Texture, in case you want to restore it later, and copy the texture files from here, the .zip file below, and unzip / rename it to "142b2su3.bmp", into the same Directory.Thank you Luis for your help, it would have taken me a couple of Life times to find this file without your help.I would also like to find what Substrate / Sub layer, equivalent to "Detail1.bmp" that controls the Near scenery, controls the scenery that is farther out.I am not referring to the blurred effect, I just want to adjust the color / brightness, like I did with the near scenery, by modifying that texture. See pic below.Thanks, everyone. TV

Flight Simulator seasonal variants represent the appearance of the ground and vegetation throughout the year. In Winter or the dry season, grass leaves wither and yellow. It is easy to find web cams or aerial images in order to verify this.As for the appearance of ground textures as distance from the user increases, this is exclusively a function of the Level of Distance Radius setting. In the area closest to the user, FS will display the highest resolution MIP map, and, as distance increases, lower resolution MIP maps are progressively substituted. This is completely realistic and can clearly be seen in the above image, where the foreground contains much detail, whereas the background is progressively less clear.The detail1.bmp is not applied here at all, and was only used on airport surfaces for a higher resolution asphalt texture. As far as I know, this texture is not even used anymore in FS X, as airport surfaces now use much higher resolution textures.So, overall, FS X does an excellent job of representing the world, both in the mimicry of seasonal variation and in the varying visibility of ground detail.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis, and everyone.Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure when the pic of KLGB was taken, but I cannot ever remember it being that yellow, in the last 30, or so, years. I fly in and out of there on an almost daily basis and as general rule the airports have grass, mostly green, around the runways to keep the dust away. Just about all, including desert, like Palm Springs etc., have green / grass around.About the detail1, texture. In my quest trying to open up the muddy look around Dusk / Dawn, about the only time I use the sim in VFR mode, I played with the texture. The results were interesting. The lighter texture in the pic below is applied to the immediate / lighter portion of the image, in the previous post. It used to be like the darker texture, that would normally match the now Far section of the image. By changing just the detail1 seems to affect / influence the whole near area. You can actually turn the area in any color you want by just changing that one file. I am not sure if there is equivalent to the file / function, for it in the Far portion, or is hard coded?As an aside, does the SP2 / Acceleration provides a better Dusk texture, time start, where you can get the Night textures to start before 19:47 Aug 24? I have it, but it's on a system that is not on the Net, and last time I had to Activate the original I spent over 1 Hr. trying to get it activated. I will most likely shelf it again, if I cannot find a way to look the way I want, and keep using FS9.Thanks again for your time and help. TV