Sign in to follow this  
Guest cw1011

Need help with a CPU swapout

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 with a P4 2.0ghz in it now with 512MB RAM. How hard is it to upgrade the CPU? Does it require a reformat (don't feel like installing everything all over again). I don't think Dell offers a CPU swapout do they?

Eric 

No sir, it does not require a format. The issues that you do need to be concerned with are these;1] Make sure that your MB supports your new CPU speed2] If you are swapping it yourself, note the correct way that the CPU sits in it's MB slot and also the way that the Heatsink/fan attach to the CPU/MB. It connects with a BAR that runs through the heatsink/Fan unit.3] You will need some CPU "goop" costs a buck or two. After CLEANING off the old goop, making sure that none of it is on the CPU (green or brown area around the core) apply a VERY VERY THIN layer to the CPU core and place the new CPU back into it's slot, and the Heatsink/Fan upon the CPU. Attach ((one side)) of the heatsink/fan BAR unto the MB/CPU slot (to raised slots for the BAR) and with a flat head screwdriver push the otherside of the BAR down over the CPU/HEATSINK untill it snaps or catches into place. This is why it's important that you take note on how the bar holds down the Heatsink/Fan unit so you have a clear idea on how to put it back on without breaking anything. And don't forget to connect the fan wire :)4] You might need to adjust the frontside bus setting in your Bios to match the new CPU's FSB. [h5]Best Wishes,Randy J. SmithSan Jose Ca[/h5][h3]" A little learning is a dangerous thing"[/h3]AMD [pink]XP[/pink] 2200 |MUNCHKIN 512 DDR RAM |ECS[/b ][i] K7S5A MB[/i] |GF3 64 MEG @ 215/545|WIN XP PRO |MITSUBISHI DIAMOND PLUS 91 19"

Guest DanWalloch

I'd just like to emphize one thing, make sure that you match up the marked corner of the cpu (P4: a white arrow/triangle) with the marking on the cpu socket (again, an arrow/triangle shape). If this is not done, you can short circuit the motherboard or cpu or both and or your ram too. Check the cpu seating twice before putting the heatsink on.

Guest cw1011

This is a piece of cake and the most cost effective upgrade you can do. Just make sure you check with dell about the cpu speed your motherboard will support.