Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Alphahawk3

Theory on this theory: Atn Nick

Nick..have you ever heard of this?? RegardsNewbieGroup: MembersPosts: 9Joined: 1-July 08Member No.: 157,227 QUOTE (Alphahawk3 @ Feb 16 2009, 05:32 AM) This is about the 3rd time I have heard mention of setting FSX priority to below normal to increase performance....and they all may have been posts from you...I am not sure. Would you mind explaining where you came up with this and what is the reasoning behind it. I have read ......maybe a year or so in the past setting it to high but never to below normal. I would be interested in the theory behind this.RegardsNo, i also have seen folks recomend high priority, and some recomend low priority.I say to set it low cause1 - Unlike most applications on a computer, when FSX runs it uses most or all cpu power, leaving little left for other things to run like, mouse, hard disk, sound etc2 - The problem is, FSX takes up so much of the computer, it starts to prevent other things even FSx needs from running, like hard disk, mouse, keyboard etc.3 - By setting FSX to low, you allow all those other tasks to run, so they can get out of the way and leave the cpu to FSX. Cause low or high, FSX is still going to aim to us all your cpu anyway.4 But when its low, it creates a smoother FSX cause every task gets it s share.5 - Its is a flaw in the design of FSX software that causes this, good applications allow other taks to run, cause those other tasks could be things that it needs too.6 - I am a software engineer, and its standard in good software to free up some of the cpu so things dont lock up.7- The name for this in software speak is called Priority inversion, high priority task becomes slow cause its stopping anything else from running.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Nick..have you ever heard of this?? RegardsNewbieGroup: MembersPosts: 9Joined: 1-July 08Member No.: 157,227 QUOTE (Alphahawk3 @ Feb 16 2009, 05:32 AM) This is about the 3rd time I have heard mention of setting FSX priority to below normal to increase performance....and they all may have been posts from you...I am not sure. Would you mind explaining where you came up with this and what is the reasoning behind it. I have read ......maybe a year or so in the past setting it to high but never to below normal. I would be interested in the theory behind this.RegardsNo, i also have seen folks recomend high priority, and some recomend low priority.I say to set it low cause1 - Unlike most applications on a computer, when FSX runs it uses most or all cpu power, leaving little left for other things to run like, mouse, hard disk, sound etc2 - The problem is, FSX takes up so much of the computer, it starts to prevent other things even FSx needs from running, like hard disk, mouse, keyboard etc.3 - By setting FSX to low, you allow all those other tasks to run, so they can get out of the way and leave the cpu to FSX. Cause low or high, FSX is still going to aim to us all your cpu anyway.4 But when its low, it creates a smoother FSX cause every task gets it s share.5 - Its is a flaw in the design of FSX software that causes this, good applications allow other taks to run, cause those other tasks could be things that it needs too.6 - I am a software engineer, and its standard in good software to free up some of the cpu so things dont lock up.7- The name for this in software speak is called Priority inversion, high priority task becomes slow cause its stopping anything else from running.
Sounds like he may be speaking the truth but I can not verify that this is the case right now. His reasoning seems very logical though and it may infact, lead to a performance increase in some situations. I will have to test this out and see because most of the time in the task manager I set the priority to Above Normal, which gives me 2-5 extra FPS most of the time.

There is no reason to ask about it or the 'theory' try it yourself and when you get past any placebo effect or discover that affinity mask may have solved the thread collisions set it back to NORMALI would leave priority alone on a correctly optimized OS install and a correctly tuned FSX install for the system.

I don't think the priority tweaking will improve FSX. In fact, my CPU and VGA card are much cooler while running FSX compared to other games.