Sign in to follow this  
stabell

wind shifts - again and again and again

I see people asking what can cause windshifts at cruise, and the reply from the developers are often of the type "try the DWC on or off to see if that helps.., "I don't have the registered FSUIPC myself, but you could try that to see if it helps, other than that, I don't know.."This is not version 1.0, you have developed ASV 6, 65, ASX, several updates, betas,, and now the grand ASA." comprehensive overhaul and upgrade of all underlying weather synthesis, interpolation and depiction systems, which have enabled significant breakthroughs and features never available until now..."So instead of asking about the wind shift problem, I will ask another questions, that I hope you have aswers for. * If the wind in all of northern Europe is from the north at about 70-100 knots, how is it possible to suddently have wind from the south at 90 knots - for 20 seconds - and then from the north again?Where is ASA/ASX taking it's upper wind from? There is no station reporting wind from the south at that altitude, of course, so how can this happen?* Is it impossible - or outside your knowledge - to make a filter that makes it impossible for the wind to change more than one knot or degree per second, or something? - Like "IF OLD_WIND_DIRECTION differs by more than 1 knot in 1 second THEN DISREGARD"?This is what the FSUIPC can do, is it rocket science? If it is a user error, it would make sense that you developers say "tick that option, and you are fine". But the answers are more like "I don't know really, try to fiddle with the options to see if it gets better...".So can you please - please - in the next update make sure you develop (?) a filter that makes it impossible for the wind to change more than one knot and one degree pr. second?This would make it possible to use your program, now it is useless.Does it mean that you developers see no windshifts, only some customers?Or do you see it all the time, but you don't know what to do about it?One gentleman here in the forum nailed it:"I just want someone to TELL ME.. exactly, bit by bit.. what I need to input in the options etc and FSX options and .. FSUIPC options to set this thing up so I don't have this problem but have winds at altitude..."Looking forward for a sollution that never gives me a 180 degree windshift at cruise.And please dont say "i honestly don't know what to do.."

In fairness to HIFI sim the wind shifts were resolved in FS9 with AS65 but that was with a little help from FSUIPC. I fly constant long haul in FS9 and never see any wind shifts with FSUIPC wind smoothing on.In fainess to you, you are using FSX so I'm no help there, I know when I tried using it I recived constant winds shifts and basically went back to FS9 because at that time nobody knew how to solve the issue only saying its a Microsoft issue (which it is).HIFI nor any other addon developers have access to the code MS used to build the internal weather engine so they try various workarounds outside the program to resolve the issues. In FS9 I beleive it took 2 to 3 years before a definite solution for me was found with AS65 and FSUIPC. Give them a chance I'm sure eventually a solution will be found.I hope.Sean

Sean Green

Hi,You can now re-visit this thread to see his results:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=244499What the general readership doesn't understand is that the wind shift issue is caused by some programming issues in SimConnect. We saw this in the VERY FIRST Beta of FSX. Though we and Pete Dowson worked with the ACES staff to resolve this completely, it never got fixed.Since that time we have spent untold hours programming and testing workarounds for this issue. With ASA and FSX the result is DWC which is brand new for FSX. It is not an ASA data problem, but the way Simconnect processes data and sends it to FSX and no, a filter on the pre-SimConnect side will not help. If so, we would have done that years ago and we would have been done with it.But we continue to work on this and hope that improvement will come in the near future.Thanks,

Guest swanrunner
Hi,You can now re-visit this thread to see his results:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=244499What the general readership doesn't understand is that the wind shift issue is caused by some programming issues in SimConnect. We saw this in the VERY FIRST Beta of FSX. Though we and Pete Dowson worked with the ACES staff to resolve this completely, it never got fixed.Since that time we have spent untold hours programming and testing workarounds for this issue. With ASA and FSX the result is DWC which is brand new for FSX. It is not an ASA data problem, but the way Simconnect processes data and sends it to FSX and no, a filter on the pre-SimConnect side will not help. If so, we would have done that years ago and we would have been done with it.But we continue to work on this and hope that improvement will come in the near future.Thanks,
One tip that I read awhile back said to start ASA in Sim connect 1 mode with DWC enabled. That is the only way I run ASA now and wind changes are very smooth even with the PMDG MD11. John

As bad as it sounds, is it possible to just set weather via FSUIPC the old way? If FSUIPC can control the weather, and SimConnect is buggy, it may make sense to use a FS9 type interface for FSX. I don't know if that's doable with ASA however.-stefan

Hi,SP1 Mode can be found from the Start/Programs/HiFi/ASA path. It forces ASA to look for and use SP1 Simconnect.Yes, you can control the winds through FSUIPC. Just remember to turn Off DWC in ASA. We don't do this because it would require FSUIPC and it would force people to use a registered copy of FSUIPC.Also, we made a programming commitment to SimConnect a ways back when we first started beta testing FSX. At the time Pete wasn't sure as to the feasibility of FSUIPC4.Thanks,