Sign in to follow this  
Guest manniko

VOR - ILS Morse Codes

Guest manniko

Hi PMDG FAns,I am an owner of the MD-11 and I am very happy with it. There are off course some issues with it - nothing is perfect, especially with a product of such a complexity. But one thing bothers me a lot - others won't be bothered at all because they can't understand the morse codes - it is the morse code representation for all the VORs and ILSs. I am an old radio officer and practiced telegraphy for more than 40 years. The sound of the implemented codes in the MD-11 are not well produced at all. They are lacking of a proper ''point to dash ratio'' , which should be 3:1 ( 3 points equal 1 dash ) - it looks like the developer of the MD-11 had very bad consultants for this part of the program. Anyway, we can live with it - the codes are understandable and the quality of the transmitted codes can be judged only by a few of the users. A hint for the developers: there are some real nice programs on the market (freeware) which can convert text into a perfect morse code in any audio codecs you like.Despite of it, we enjoy flying this baby very much.Manfred Kohl (OERK)

Manfred, I always assumed the ident audio was provided by msfs and not the add-on aircraft. Compare the MD11 nav ident with a default aircraft. Is it the same or different? If same, then this is a msfs squawk. Also, many VORTAC-H in the US now use voice ident instead of code, I noticed this is not implemented in msfs.

Dan Downs KCRP