Sign in to follow this  
trisager

CDAP approach

One more note,You could fly a CDAP in V/S if you change the MCP to meters instead of feet. Some Navigraph nDAC charts show the MDA in both meters and feet, or you'll just have to make those caculations on your own.
Kevin,Missing a point here I'm afraid.The MD-11 is different from other Boeings (except 777) in it's ability to fly non-precision approaches, using AP/FD coupled FPA and TRACK.Once you get used and understand these features, the choice what modes to use for this kind of approaches will become very clear.Regards,Harry

I've flown CDAP's in V/S with the MD11. It's not that hard to do.

I've flown CDAP's in V/S with the MD11. It's not that hard to do.
Sure, nothing against using V/S for this.My experience is that FPA and TRK modes make it even less hard to do.So I use it for simulation purposes also.Regards,Harry

Boeing's also have a FPA and TRK. The only differences I've found between the two is not being able to adjust your TRK PTH via the MCP on a Boeing. But TRK PTH is still visible on the EHSI in MAP mode. Also the fact that I tend to use meters more often in the MD11 vs FT on a Boeing. But it's relatively the same thing.

I imagine each will have his preference for doing a CDAP. I prefer FPA, but as long as you stay on profile, you're safe, so it doesn't matter.The one thing that annoys me about the MD is that PROF really sucks because it will level off at MDA. A Boeing will allow you to stay in VNAV until just before touchdown. Another thing I miss is the "green arc". A superior tool for sure. I spend many sleepless nights wondering why Airbus and MD decided not to put it in.