Sign in to follow this  
Guest silversword

Newbie has weather ?

Guest silversword

I would like to combine REX and FEX for my environments and use ASA for my weather engine. My ? is what order do I start these programs and when do I close them and which do I use to start FSX ? Or is this not feasible ?

I would like to combine REX and FEX for my environments and use ASA for my weather engine. My ? is what order do I start these programs and when do I close them and which do I use to start FSX ? Or is this not feasible ?
If I understand you correctly you want to use for example the clouds from REX and the water from FEX, or a number of items from each one. Then you want to add the weather correct? Once you have installed the clouds, water, waves, etc from REX and FEX you can then start the weather. You dont need to change the settings in REX or FEX each time, unless you want to change a cloud or something you had previously installed. Each program installs clouds for a variety of weather conditions so that you dont have to start and install coulds for each flight or for different weather conditions. IF that were the case, you would have a lot to do and would take considerable time just to begin a flight each time. After you get all the clouds, water, etc. installed from FEX and REX run a defrag, reboot, then go flying and leave REX and FEX alone unless you want to try something different, like a new cloud or water theme for example.I am running only FEX and once I installed all the clouds, water, and waves I wanted, I haven't touched it since, except once to change the water textures to a different set. This was almost six months ago and I fly almost every day in FSX.Hope this answers your question.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just to add a little to what cmpbellsjc posted: both REX and FEX have options to enable or disable the installation of certain textures. So if you want to use clouds from REX and skies from FEX, you will have to disable the installation of clouds in FEX and skies in REX (or to put it different: when you want to use REX clouds, it's wise to disable the clouds installment option in FEX)! Otherwise the second program you run will overwrite everything the first one did install. (BTW Both programs simply overwrite default textures with new ones that have the exact same name.) This is the only thing you have to pay attention to in order to get what you want.I have FEX and ASA: I've run FEX about 2 times this year, once after installing my new computer and once to change the water after some testing I did. ASA on the other hand, has to be kept running in the background while flying, otherwise your weather won't be updated!So the right order is:1. FEX or REX (whichever you want). You can close these programs after installing the textures (unless you want to use the REX weather engine, which you probably won't): if you like what you see, you will not have to run these programs ever again.2. ASA. Use the Start FSX button in ASA to start FSX and let ASA run until you've finished FSX again.P.S. In fact you can even completely uninstall FEX or REX after installing the textures! My previous computer had very little HD space and since FEX (and REX) simply overwrite default texture files in the FSX texture folders (it doesn't add anything!), which will stay there until you uninstall FSX, I removed FEX completely to save a little space (FEX doesn't take that much though). I've flown for about a year with beautiful FEX textures without FEX being installed. :(