Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Ruahrc

Now you've done it...

Sad to say but I think the Avsim victory in the RTW race came at a cost. I missed out on the weekend celebration flight because of computer issues, and it looks like one of the RAM slots on my mobo has failed. I am limping along right now with only half of my memory installed, but if I want to keep simming on it I'm going to have to do better than the current 1GB of RAM. I suppose winning doesn't come without sacrifice eh :).I guess we can all be consoled by the fact that this comptuer "died" doing what it loved, and what it was originally built for: flightsimming.Looks like the only elegant way out of this situation is to get a new mobo and along with it a new CPU and RAM. Evreything else can be ported over and likely re-used. The big question now is do I "embrace the future" and finally succumb to FSX(where hopefully modern hardware can give decent performance), or pick up a modest C2D system and chew through FS9 framerates like there's no tomorrow. Honestly I'm not sure which way to go. On the one hand this is a good opportuniy to move to FSX. On the other hand I'd be losing a large majority of my addons which I would like to reinstall. Buying up new or updated versions of a lot of the addons I enjoy (Ultimate terrain, GEPro, ActiveSky, PC-12, nearly all the airport scenery, etc) is a big cost outlay too- not to mention it seems like I'd need to pick up near top-of-the-line hardware right now to even get respectable performance from FSX? Am I right in that? Discussions for other threads and other fora.A pic of my simming setup BTW. You can see the computer hiding below the "shelf" that the throttle sits on. Yep it's a Shuttle XPC, and was a great little box. What will its future be? I'm not sure it might make a good headless server box, or maybe even a secondary computer to run WideFS and some extra displays or something, in case the simming ever gets ambitious.Also been thinking about a monitor upgrade. The LCD I have now actually would fit right behind the throttle quadrant and would provide an excellent secondary display for center pedestal panels.Norman

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's funny you should mention an interest in embracing FSX because I'm presently "rediscovering" FS9. I went all out a couple of months ago and got a Core i7 with a couple of GTX 280s, and while it does a respectable job of rendering FSX with the added load of four monitors, it really blows FS9 out of the water!I'm surprised how little the two sims differ when eventually FS9 is rendered in all its glory, and I suppose that FSX will look even better one day when it's possible to move all of the sliders all the way to the right.I wouldn't be too quick disposing of FS9 because I think it still has a great future. Sadly, however, the only solution to your dilemma may be to make whatever sacrifices are necessary to get the best hardware.Ultimately it's all just a lot of simming, and sooner or later the technology will become both more powerful and easier to afford. All we have to do is wait for the day.Here's a shot I took with my phone camera. It's not as sharp as your pic, but it's worth a look. I've got both side covers off my box and a fan on either side because it gets hot here in Australia and computers don't seem to like it.

I agree with Highmike I have both FS9 and FSX the system I have is by no means top of the line but it is about the best you can get considering. I have a Pentium 4 with hyperthreading 4 gig ram I have a AGP type of video card with a fx8600 512 mb ram. I am able to run fs9 full out and still get rates in the 20's to the 30's and that is with the worst weather a highly detailed aircraft at a payware airport. I can get rates in the high teens in fsx but the sliders are only about a third way over. It is flyable but I prefer FS9. I am slowly preparing for my next system I just bought a new case and it is awesome with all the room I need for my next system.

Nice setup Highmike!Yeah I'm gonna do a little research, and see exactly what hardware is required to get good performance out of FSX. As a result of flying the RTW, I have sparked a real interest in flying in Australia. Put some more advanced avionics in my PC-12 (IGS Simavionics, which have pretty accurate representations of the Honeywell EFS50 used in the real PC12), installed VOZ for FS9 and I even painted up the FS9 Flight1 PC-12 in RFDS colors (file is on avsim as of yesterday: f1_pc12_rfds.zip) so I could have a regionally accurate paint to fly in... then my computer died.Anyways I was looking at the ORBx site yesterday and the FT Australia stuff looks pretty good! Especially if I shift the focus away from airliners and just tool around in the PC12, getting all the FTX packs for AU and just keeping my simming in that area seems like a real tempting possibility. The enhancements of FSX for that kind of application would be worth it. Simplify things up a bit, cut back on the addons, and just build a very capable region-specific sim setup where I could take a pretty accurate version of the PC-12 anywhere in AUS with pretty accurate scenery, and just enjoy the flying for a while. But not if it will cost me over $1500 in new hardware to make it go good. If it's that much I'd probably just stick with FS9 and VOZ and do it that way.BTW is that the CaptainSim 757 in your pic there Highmike? I have always wondered how good it was compared to the PSS 757. I have (had? as it is not installed right now) the PSS 757 and while the exterior model was a little rough around the edges the 2D panel and systems modeling were pretty great. The VNAV on the FMC was a little wonky and it could climb what I felt to be too fast (something like 4,000fpm all the way to FL200 even using CLB-2 power before it staretd to slow down) but otherwise was a pretty good package. How complete/robust are the systems modeling and FMC of the CS757?Norman

You've got a sharp eye Norman! I got the CaptainSim FS9 757 B Block back in '07, and while the model and VC looked impressive it was a big disappointment without all the systems programming for which I had to wait another 12 months or so. By the time the F Block was released in '08 a lot of spiteful criticism of CS was beginning to surface and I began to doubt whether I'd ever have a complete aircraft. I went ahead and bought the F Block anyway and was predictably disappointed like so many others, a number of crucial navigational instruments were not functioning correctly and the sim crashed whenever I tried to exit. I uninstalled it and did my best to forget about this unpleasant experience.But during my recent rediscovery of FS9 I decided to give the 757 another go. This time I couldn't even get it to install because the activation precedure had changed. I went to the CS website to see if I could download another copy and, low and behold, not only was my account still active but the latest version was available free of charge.Whatever may have been wrong with it in the past has evidently been corrected. So far I can't find fault with it and am relieved to finally enjoy some satisfaction.I don't agree with a lot of the nasty things I've read about CS. It can't be easy producing a complex airliner, and while you could doubt their ability to maintain a positive presence in the market you have to credit them with persistence. In spite of all the hostility pointed in their direction they've been able to knuckle down and satisfy their customers with a finished product, and I'll now do my best to defend their otherwise tarnished reputation.