Sign in to follow this  
Flaps30

Accuracy of Autogen and Landclass Roads

I just upgraded FSX's scenery with FSGenesis Landclass and terrain mesh for the USA, and F1's UTX and GEX. At first I noticed landclass buildings and houses randomly placed in all the wrong areas. I checked the UTX interface and had to activate the smaller urban roads that now show the streets in my housing development. Things are muched improved from the default, but I still have autogen buildings that although looking good, are surely not in the right areas. For example, the roads in my housing development are depicted accurately but it is completely empty of any buildings or houses. In the surrounding area around my town in reality it is just fields, and in FS there are many buildings. I thought once FSX sees a road, it automatically senses this and puts small or larger buildings along it depending on what type of road it is. I have seen several FSX videos and pictures of simmers with accurately placed buildings in their towns and cities that they claim are totally accurate to their respective areas. Is this just a simple settings problem or can it be adjusted by an average simmer like myself? Thanks. Tom

Guest SkullxBones

Your landclass is going to determine where the houses and buildings are placed. Most of the add-on landclasses do a better job than FSX does, but none are going to be 100% accurate. You can modify the landclass in specific areas, like where you live, but I don't know the details on how it's done.

Guest ziporama

You can ask how it's done in the scenery design forums, I'm sure you'll get a lot of information there.To cover a large area, most of the landclass, terrain and other feature tools use some type of algorithm to generate the data for Flight Simulator from some data source, and the accuracy will not only be as good as the source data, but the algorithm a well. You will find the roads, rivers/streams and railroad/powerlines are going to be probably the most accurate since the data sources are good for that and the data is actually small compared to other scenery features. For terrain, also very accurate but the simulator does reduce the data set to make it manageable, and you can also further reduce the detail level as a scenery parameter in the sim itself. I don't believe autogen will be as precise as it will use data in the landclass to put objects on the scenery based on data points in the scenery. Then, there are the terrain textures, and the limit of the scenery engine on the level of detail that can have as well.The most accurate scenery will always be a manual design of the area you're interested in. Many add-on airports and cities do precisely that, although putting too much detail can choke even the fastest computer.Etienne

In general, areas on specific terrain tile texture bitmaps are specified for autogen placement. The actual objects are contained in groups, and specific objects are selected for placement from the group in a somewhat random manner, so you shouldn't see the identical object over and over.When vector terrain such as roads and streams are placed over the base tile, autogen will typically be suppressed along the vectors. There is also the possibility of creating "vector autogen" which are objects that run along the terrain vectors. In the default these are typically road signs and light poles along roads, and power poles on utility corridors. I don't think the UTX vector terrain uses vector autogen at all, instead relying on their own methods to place street lights (mainly).If you have a lot of vector roads over a terrain bitmap, chances are most of the autogen will not be shown.scott s..