Any recommendations for a video card for an old Dell P4 2.8 PCI (not express) PC? Already have an i7 920 with a GTX285 step up on the way and just wanted to max potential with the old P4 machine. The P4 machine currently hasa Radeon 9250 in it and I just wondered if there is something faster/better that I could put in it. The Radeon 9250 will go in an even older machine I usefor playing music. Was thinking about something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130465.But I wonder if there is something faster and better. This machine will be used occasionally by the soon to be 6 year old grandson.Any thoughts appreciated.Dan

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

GPU: EVGA GTX285 Vanilla

Thanks for answering. It is really tough to shell out ANY money for old tech. Just thinking about it and wondered what might make it a little better.

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

Or, If the MB has an AGP slot, go for a 256mb AGP card. If it is old enough to only have PCI slots, well, hard to say if it will last long enough to get any use out of any new card. BTW I have two 9250 cards that I have as back ups. OK for anything but gaming. I gave my daughter my old C2 Duo and 7900gt (nice card in it's day). When the 7900 died, I replaced it with an 8400 gs 512 MB PCIe. Ya get what ya pay for. That 8400 is very slow. The P4 with an AGP card that she had was a better gamer the the new rig with the 8400. I have some more work to do on it, but.....Maybe, save your money.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Thanks for answering. It is really tough to shell out ANY money for old tech. Just thinking about it and wondered what might make it a little better.
------------------------Dan- may I paraphrase your words?- It is really tough to shell out ANY money for new tech- when the old works as well as this "Smithsonian" class 'puter. These cards are gems in my setup.AMD 1.8 Mhz/2GB RAM with 2 GeForce FX5200 cards- AGP & PCIAlex ReidDreamFleet Bonanza on dawn final- R6R KLAX

Nice one there Alex :) Well, I went ahead and bought an 8400gs. It works in my Vista 64 machine and I am using it right now until my GTX285 step-up arrives Tuesday. I've got it OC'd to 650core and 900 memory. Won't get many frames with it in FS9 but the graphics are better than the 9250 imho. Then it will go in my P4 XP machine for back up. Thanks for all the replies guys.