Sign in to follow this  
Dondo

Ordered a New System

Finally got tired of trying to decide what would work best for a new sim PC. I know the video card is not optimal, but the rest of the system seems fairly stout. I'll see how things go with the ATI 4850, but if I'm not happy, I'll probably pop a GeForce 260. Unfortunately, the Dell I ordered only has a 360 watt PS, so with the rest of the hardware, I'd be surprised if it could power a 260. Anyway, here are the specs:Studio XPS 435MT Studio XPS 435MT, Intel Core i7-940 processor(8MB L2 Cache 2.93GHz) 8GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1066MHZ-2X2GB/4x1GB,X 512MB ATI Radeon HD 4850 640GB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPMRunning Vista 64 (planning on Windows 7 when possible though)Of course it also includes another Dell 24" display, keyboard, media card reader etc etc.....Supposed to be delievered on or about May 20th.One less thing to worry about. Dondo

Guest UlfB
8GB DDR3 SDRAM AT 1066MHZ-2X2GB/4x1GB,X
Dondo,Normally a X58 motherboard will have tripple channel memory, so you should have three identical memory sticks three slots. Are you sure that you've ordered the correct memory sticks for a Core i7/X58 based computer?I ran the Antec PSUEnginge (http://www.antec.outervision.com/PSUEngine) and I ended up with 320W (not peak load). You should really get a PSU with more juice. Edited by UlfB

Dell PSU's are under-rated. The wattage rating listed is a guaranteed delivery rating. I have a "305W" Dell PSU with dual 17A +12V rails (combined 34A) and a 550W Corsair VX550 with a total of 41A. Said Dell PSU is powering a 3.4GHz Prescott, 3GB DDR2, and an 8800 GT with zero problems under extensive gaming and benchmarking.

Normally a X58 motherboard will have tripple channel memory, so you should have three identical memory sticks three slots. Are you sure that you've ordered the correct memory sticks for a Core i7/X58 based computer?
Well, it is indeed a Dell I ordered, so I just have to trust that they will have the correct RAM installed. This is the first computer I have ever "ordered", so kind of a new deal for me. I've had a couple of PC's built buy local shops and have even built a couple of my own. Just wanted something with a warrenty, that I knew had a good chance of working right out of the box and something that I simply could just connect up, install FSX, and not worry about much else.....hopefully, that is what I got."fingers crossed" :)Dondo