Sign in to follow this  
sbclark

Questions about the network install

I'm setting up a network install of Active Sky Advanced on Win XP Pro (client) and FSX is installed on the server WinXP Pro.I'm looking at bottom of page 51 of the manual where it tells you to configure Simconnect. I have the following questions:1) Can I assume that SDK SP1 is on the Deluxe FSX CD?2) Can I assume that the SDK SP1a is in the SP1 FSX download?3) Can I assume that the SDK SP2 is on the Acceleration CD?4) Do I need to install the SDK 1 , 1a, and 2 on both the server and the client PC's, or just the server PC (where FSX is located)? The documentation is not really clear about this.Also, how do you make "My Documents" folder visible across the network? On the server I have FSX installed on a second HD. Both server drives and all the files and their contents are visible to the client PC. Also, the C:drive on the client PC is visible to the Server. The only problem is that the "My Documents" folder is not visible to either the server or the client, which is one of the requirements for install. I've searched the web, but I have not found a way to do this successfully. Any suggestions?Best Regards,Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

Also, how do you make "My Documents" folder visible across the network? On the server I have FSX installed on a second HD. Both server drives and all the files and their contents are visible to the client PC. Also, the C:drive on the client PC is visible to the Server. The only problem is that the "My Documents" folder is not visible to either the server or the client, which is one of the requirements for install. I've searched the web, but I have not found a way to do this successfully. Any suggestions?
You don't actually need to share "My Documents", just "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files".There is some kind of security setting that prevents you from sharing "My Documents" (there may be a way around that, but I don't know how), but you can share "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>". This lets you browse to the "My Documents" folder. But this should not be required for ASA.Tom

Hi Bill,1. Yes that is correct. DVD2, if I remember, in a folder called SDK.2. Pretty sure that is a separate download.3. I am not sure because I have a downloaded Acceleration. But I know SP2 can be downloaded also.4. Install the SDKs on the server, but move the simconnect.msi files and those get run on the client.Thanks,

You don't actually need to share "My Documents", just "My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files".There is some kind of security setting that prevents you from sharing "My Documents" (there may be a way around that, but I don't know how), but you can share "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>". This lets you browse to the "My Documents" folder. But this should not be required for ASA.Tom
Thanks Tom!Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Hi Bill,1. Yes that is correct. DVD2, if I remember, in a folder called SDK.2. Pretty sure that is a separate download.3. I am not sure because I have a downloaded Acceleration. But I know SP2 can be downloaded also.4. Install the SDKs on the server, but move the simconnect.msi files and those get run on the client.Thanks,
Thanks Jim,As to question 2., I just checked the Acceleration CD and the SDK patch on this CD is SDK 1a. So I have both SDK 1 and 1a.So, is there an SDK patch 2? If not, then I'm home free to start the install.You don't mention it in your install instructions, but I thought I saw it mentioned on the SimConnect Forum under FSX.Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Hi,Yes, there is an SDK2 from the FS Insider site.Thanks,

Hi,Yes, there is an SDK2 from the FS Insider site.Thanks,
Jim,I looked under the download section of FSinsider and couldn't find SDK2, and I thought I looked very carefully, but then again I'm an old guy....see link below:http://www.fsinsider.com/downloads/Pages/default.aspxAm I missing something, or is there another link I'm not aware of?So I assume that SDK , versions 1, 1.5 and 2 are required to successfully install and utilize Active Sky Advanced?Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

Thanks Jim,Now I can take a stab at the install process in the next couple of days. BTW - I attempted an install prior to posting on this forum, but quickly discovered I was not setting up things properly. I hope your server let's me re-activate ASA again since I did register on the first attempt.Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2