Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mendota

Flight Plan vs STARs

Guest Mendota

In real life, do controllers assign STARs, are they requested by pilots, or are they less often used than we imagine?The reason I'm asking is because there doesn't seem to be a way to use procedures on the arrival end in the same way one can on departure, i.e. the controller letting you alone to presumably follow your procedure without bugging you about your flight plan.I have airplanes with FMCs that have taken a lot of effort to figure out, and it would be nice to have a way to use RC with the STARs they have loaded in them. Or am I just missing some feature? And in case someone wonders if this is criticism, no, it isn't. I like the product very much and haven't used the standard ATC since I bought it. (Although I have turned it off to keep the controller from driving me crazy about my flight plan when I'm following a STAR.)

Yes,in real life ATC do assign the STAR at most busy airports.And they are used almost all the time.Often at 200 plus miles away from destination.However this is frequently modified by vectors.In fact it is not unusual to complete the whole of a short flight in EU almost entirely on vectors with the occasional "direct to....".Not sure about elswehere.Just a few hours ago the Air New Zealand Flight 2 from Los Angeles to Heathrow was given a BOV2B to Heathrow when he was over 200 miles out..Thereafter he was vectored all over the place,more or less in the direction of London until he got a "direct to" one of the later waypoints in the STAR.I personally find that RC4 works well with STARS.Incorporate all the STAR waypoints in your flight plan and then take the vectors after contacting Approach or continue with the appropriate procedure

I can speak only about the US and FAA controllers. SID/STARS will be used at major airports. Most commercial pilots/airlines file them with the flight plan for advance planning but when they are filed they are subject to change due to conditions. Although there is no restriction, when filing the flight plan you may also put "No SID/STAR" in the remarks section and controllers will attempt to accommodate you. However commercial flights/IFR flights into larger airports will probably be assigned a STARJoeMNY

Guest Mendota

Thanks for the replies. I'll do a flightplan with STAR waypoints in FSX and see what RC4 does with it. The problem then, of course, is that you end up contrariwise to the AI traffic, but I have been known to zap the other traffic so I can have the whole airport to myself for landing if need be.I guess that's what VATSIM's for, but I'll never be savvy enough to get into that.

Thanks for the replies. I'll do a flightplan with STAR waypoints in FSX and see what RC4 does with it. The problem then, of course, is that you end up contrariwise to the AI traffic, but I have been known to zap the other traffic so I can have the whole airport to myself for landing if need be.I guess that's what VATSIM's for, but I'll never be savvy enough to get into that.
there are a couple of tutorials, that will help you know what to expect, and how to fly it.jd

Hope that works OK Mendota.Just remember that RC4's Approach Controller will want to talk to you at the 40 mile mark so I build a plan that takes the STAR to that point.thereafter it's up to you what you wish.Either the vectors or continue with the procedure.If the AI aren't behaving I think I'd zap them too.Usually I find they are, but there are rogue elements in FS and it ain't RC4's fault.