Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rhodges

My Out of Memory Error/Solution

Short Version: Between 4 and 9 DME on an ILS approach into Rwy. 13 at KJFK I get an out of memory error flying FSX. Solution: Rename, disable, or remove

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have used a binary search to isolate bad files. This can reduce the number of iterations substantially but can also be a bit complicated if there are more than one file that are causing issues. This is a process of dividing the file group in half and redividing the half that contains the bad file, and so on until the file is identified. I believe the result can be achieved in the same number of tests regardless of the number of files involved.Rick

Thanks for the reply Rick:Without the impressive titles, I believe what you describe is pretty well what I did. It can be quite a task when there are so many files in the folder in question, as was the case here. I appreciate your comments.Respectfully:RTH

I have used a binary search to isolate bad files. This can reduce the number of iterations substantially but can also be a bit complicated if there are more than one file that are causing issues. This is a process of dividing the file group in half and redividing the half that contains the bad file, and so on until the file is identified. I believe the result can be achieved in the same number of tests regardless of the number of files involved.Rick

While I appreciate you spent a lot of time in your testing, unfortunately your conclusions and suggestions do not really fit with how the FSX scenery engine and UTX (or other scenery) files work.To put it simply, if you have a corrupt scenery file, UTX or otherwise, it will not matter how long you have flown before it is loaded, you will just have to load it and you would get the crash. This does not sound like what is happening in your case.You also have to remember that around New York and KJFK is one the most scenery intensive areas in all of FSX (Seattle is another) and so pushes FSX to its limits.Therefore, as you are flying the exact same way everytime, and it happens in the same location, and as you get an OOM rather than another form of crash (which you would get for corrupt scenery files), the more likely reason is that your combination of aircraft, scenery and FSX settings are such that at this point the memory used by FSX runs out or is unable to get a new contiguous amount it requests as new scenery elements are requested to be displayed.By disabling this one particular UTX road file, you just happen to lower the total memory allocations required so that it no longer runs out of memory.Jeff

Thanks to Johnost's suggestion on another forum, a better solution may have been found.I enabled the file in question again.In my boot.ini file, I edited from "2560" to "2496" and tried my test flight from KLWB to KJFK again. I got no OOM.Time will tell whether this has longevity on not.Respectfully:RTH