Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mendota

FSX in program folder (x86) Vista 64 cause problems?

Guest Mendota

I just installed FSX on a new Dell running Vista 64. I was surprised to find two different program files: one for for native 64 bit apps, and another with (x86) added where apparently 32 bit programs go. This caught me off guard when re-installing my first payware airplane, but luckily I caught it in time.As long as everything goes into the (x86) folder where FSX lives, will life be wonderful?Anything else weird about Vista 64 bit that I might need to know? So far it looks great. But I have noticed little fine-print disclaimers saying things like "our product will probably run on Vista 64, but we don't support it.

I just installed FSX on a new Dell running Vista 64. I was surprised to find two different program files: one for for native 64 bit apps, and another with (x86) added where apparently 32 bit programs go. This caught me off guard when re-installing my first payware airplane, but luckily I caught it in time.As long as everything goes into the (x86) folder where FSX lives, will life be wonderful?Anything else weird about Vista 64 bit that I might need to know? So far it looks great. But I have noticed little fine-print disclaimers saying things like "our product will probably run on Vista 64, but we don't support it.
No, you can still be affected by UAC. Install FSX to its own directory outside of the Program Files folder.

Guest Mendota
No, you can still be affected by UAC. Install FSX to its own directory outside of the Program Files folder.
I am a little reluctant to try to reactivate after my previous difficulties. How many attempts do you get? If I turn off UAC will that solve potential problems?

I am a little reluctant to try to reactivate after my previous difficulties. How many attempts do you get? If I turn off UAC will that solve potential problems?
You should be able to just right click the top level FSX directory under "program files (x86)", right click, select the security tab, and give your login account full access to that directory - that should take care of any UAC issues with accessing that directory. Most addon installers should be correctly checking the registry for the location of FSX and should find the install location automatically from there, they shouldn't be assuming just "Program Files" :->Tim

If you have a problem reactivating, for example FSX will not activate, all you need to do is call Microsoft. You do not have to worry about running out of attempts. Yes, If you disable UAC that would solve potential problems.