Sign in to follow this  
TheDanger

What hardware for WideFS config

I have a 26" Widescreen with 8800GTX, Intel Core2 Duo E6850@ stock 3GHZ and 4gig mem.I want to add 2 monitors via WideFS (not triplehead2go) for side cockpit views and am wondering what system I would need to buy. I am using the above for the main forward view. Would I need a PC for each monitor or would it be sufficient to run the above rig and add the extra 2 monitors to an additional PC with dual vid output?ThanksGraham

Hi Graham,for aditional views you should use WideView (Payware). WideFS is only to "extend" FSUIPC over network.As far as I know, the other PCs have to run FS too but the needed performance is not that high. I stopped my experiments some years ago, so no up to date experience.Another solution might be MaxiVista. This requires only "old" PCs with no special GX card. The hard of MaxiVista is a special driver where parts of the screen are distributed over the network to the before mentioned "old" PCs.Have a look at: MaxiVistaPeter

Thanks, Sorry I meant WideView. I have WideFS for my networked laptop and always get the 2 mixed up!Graham

I have a 26" Widescreen with 8800GTX, Intel Core2 Duo E6850@ stock 3GHZ and 4gig mem.I want to add 2 monitors via WideFS (not triplehead2go) for side cockpit views and am wondering what system I would need to buy. I am using the above for the main forward view. Would I need a PC for each monitor or would it be sufficient to run the above rig and add the extra 2 monitors to an additional PC with dual vid output?ThanksGraham
----------------------Graham- I'm running triple monitors/ triple views FS9 on a single, six year year old 'puter with just 2 video cards- AGP with 2 ports and a single port PCI card. Works so well, I have no plans to upgrade! The secret with multiple views is to adjust the view angles of the outers to allow for the monitor bezels that separate them. When you get this right, your eyes/brain see what appears to be one very wide single image with a 145

So I assume that if I add another PC with a dual video output card connected via WideView then the 'horsepower' of the CPU/GPU would not need to be as powerful as the main PC which is running my main monitor? The GPU would not need to be the same type ie I use Nvidia 8800GTX but could use ATI in the 2nd PC?Also would the monitors have to be the same size? I have 26" widescreen and want to add maybe 2 19" as would be too expensive for 2x26" plus the cost of parts for additional PC.ThanksGraham

So I assume that if I add another PC with a dual video output card connected via WideView then the 'horsepower' of the CPU/GPU would not need to be as powerful as the main PC which is running my main monitor? The GPU would not need to be the same type ie I use Nvidia 8800GTX but could use ATI in the 2nd PC?Also would the monitors have to be the same size? I have 26" widescreen and want to add maybe 2 19" as would be too expensive for 2x26" plus the cost of parts for additional PC.ThanksGraham
----------------------Graham- I don't have WideView- just a single 6 yr old processor with two video cards which drive the three monitors. The GPUs need to be of the same family since they have to run on the same driver. I believe they don't have to be identical as long as they both will work on a single driver. The monitors are set up in Control Panel/Display/Settings to "position" them as to their physical configuration, set resolution for each, and "Extend My Desktop" onto each mon. When this is accomplished, your mouse cursor will slide across all three from far left to extreme right as if you have a single very wide monitor!Monitors don't have to be of same size or type- I have a 19 CRT and two 17 LCDs- all different makes and ages. Shop around for used mons- my last was a nice IBM 17"/8ms LCD with hydraulic base for $75. Again, I don't have a second PC- just a 6 yr old AMD 1.8 XP2200- 2GB ram processor & 2 GeForce FX 5200 GPUs.On performance - Since there is only one CPU, only one of the three views is updating at any given moment- the other two views are static. In effect 2/3 of the view always has a zero frame rate- it is PERFECTLY SMOOTH- at that instant. (If you are mathematically inclined, you could argue that 2/3 of the view always has a frame rate approaching infinity!!)The red FPS display will show a much lower count- about 50-66% less than single mon (depending on how you size the extra views). Here's how I setup for performance-With only single View Fwd & main 2D panel active, I set FS9 sliders to achieve 30-50 FPS. Now open the 2 extra views (which in my setup are 1/2 height with panel popups open below). This drops the posted FPS by 50% to about 15-25.Some simmers will say that's unacceptably low- however there is NO quality difference that I can detect between 3 views at 15 and a single view at 30 FPS! Remember that 2/3 of the view is always static- the ultimate in FPS!!!!The foregoing remarks on FPS performance are dependant on synchronizing the 3 views to adjust for the view separation caused by monitor bezels. When you do this the 3 views blend into ONE very wide view. Just as in your car, you see only one view, even though it may be thru' driver's side window, driver's windshield and passenger windshield. (Old car with a 2 piece windshield!) Synching the views is simple but it's another topic.Hope the foregoing encourages you to explore multi monitors. I rate triple views as THE # 1 addon for simming! Alex Reid

Guest HomeCockpitFlyer

Graham,I have a setup right now with 4 monitors (3 for the outside view and a forth to display instrument panel) built into a homebuilt C172 cockpit. I'm running all four monitors a single computer with two video cards. The computer is 3+ years old: AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 Dual Core Processor (2.61 GHz), 2 GB RAM, and two NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX graphics cards. The 3 outside view monitors are 20 inch CRTs and the instrument panel is a 19" widescreen LCD. I have to run with autogen off, low traffic, and some other tweeks, and get decent performance in rural areas flying a C172. I'm sure if I was flying something faster in and out of major airports, I would have some trouble making this work. I'm currently planning an upgrade to the latest hardware to help gain some additional performance, but this setup has served me well for 3 years now. I'm assuming your 8800GTX has two outputs. I would suggest trying to add a second monitor and see how it goes. If that goes well, maybe just invest in a second video card and try a third monitor.I looked into WideView when I first started designing my cockpit. I learned a lot about how to setup the monitors and panel.cfg files for the different views from the WideView documentation.Good Luck,Mike

Guest HomeCockpitFlyer

Alex,I'm curious how you have your views configured in the panel.cfg file. You mentioned that you use the view angle to account for the monitor bezels. Could you explain the angles your monitors are setup relative to each other and the view configuration lines in your panel.cfg file. Do you adjust the zoom at all? I assume your views stay "aligned" when in a bank as well as level?The method I have used is as follows:My three monitors are positioned 30 degrees from each other. In the panel.cfg file I set the forward/left and forward/right views to + or - 30 degrees. I then adjust the zoom until the views align properly. The views stay aligned whether I am level, in a bank, etc. This is the method described in the WideView documentation several years back, although intended for a multi-PC setup.Thanks,Mike

Alex,I'm curious how you have your views configured in the panel.cfg file. You mentioned that you use the view angle to account for the monitor bezels. Could you explain the angles your monitors are setup relative to each other and the view configuration lines in your panel.cfg file. Do you adjust the zoom at all? I assume your views stay "aligned" when in a bank as well as level?The method I have used is as follows:My three monitors are positioned 30 degrees from each other. In the panel.cfg file I set the forward/left and forward/right views to + or - 30 degrees. I then adjust the zoom until the views align properly. The views stay aligned whether I am level, in a bank, etc. This is the method described in the WideView documentation several years back, although intended for a multi-PC setup.Thanks,Mike
----------------------------Mike- The following is for FS9: In Panel Config there is a line- VIEW_FORWARD_RIGHT(or left)_DIR=x,y,z. (If it isn't there, it can be added- necessary for FS default airplanes.) x sets height of a view- useful if you wish to have a partial view at monitor top with popups below. Also used to align horizons between monitors.y+- allows the image to be twisted/rotated. Useful to get the outer horizons to be a straight line relative to mid mon horizon.z+- sets the view (starting) angle for the outer mons. A word of explanation- each Flight Sim view is 45

What's really needed are vertically concave monitors!! Better still, concave in both planes so one's eyes are always same distance from every pixel!
Something like this perhaps?nec-monitor.jpgScreen res of only 2880x900 (future generations will be more I am sure) and a price tag of $7999...

Konrad

Something like this perhaps?nec-monitor.jpgScreen res of only 2880x900 (future generations will be more I am sure) and a price tag of $7999...
---------------YES- but slightly concave vertically as well !Apart from price, this monitor is on the right track. My 3 monitors are arranged in a similar wrap around arc about 45" wide. They produce a resolution of 3072 x 768. A little like having an IMAX in your own home! And my total investment is about $500.!Alex Reid