Sign in to follow this  

Guest Cameron
Just use the program-get floating buildings etc. =would like to see a successful venture...
Geofa,Floating objects sounds like you have the feature for runways following terrain contour turned on. Go into rendering settings and turn this feature off. Restart the sim, and see if this fixes the problem.Cam

Geofa,Floating objects sounds like you have the feature for runways following terrain contour turned on. Go into rendering settings and turn this feature off. Restart the sim, and see if this fixes the problem.Cam
Ok-I'll give it a try. Still would like to see some screenshots..

Guest Cameron
Ok-I'll give it a try. Still would like to see some screenshots..
Cool, let me know how that goes.I'm not the one making claims about XP scenery, nor do I have the packages for Duluth installed, but Ted's scenery page is here: http://web.me.com/theosdavis/xpfiles/scenery.htmlThe OpenScenery X library referred to is here: http://www.opensceneryx.com/I've not explored the packages too much until recently. If I have some time maybe I'll try it out and post screenshots, but for now I'll reserve comment on how they are vs. default FS. The bottom line is this: X-Plane lacks DEFAULT scenery that is better than FS default. Anything you have to download and install is add-on scenery, so while the OpenSceneryX/Ted scenery combos may look better than FS defaults, X-Plane still doesn't win when you compare default to default. I'm a heavy XP user, and always will be. I've used both sims, and enjoy both, but my preference remains with X-Plane. I love the add-ons for FS, but when the FS2XPlane converter came about, my needs for X-Plane were covered, and I left FS. There's good and bad in both sims, but there is no doubt that you can have the same (if not better) effects in X-Plane than in FS. We're still waiting for the day that someone makes a true PMDG/LevelD-like simulation. It's possible to do (very), however, no one has done it just yet.

Cool, let me know how that goes.I'm not the one making claims about XP scenery, nor do I have the packages for Duluth installed, but Ted's scenery page is here: http://web.me.com/theosdavis/xpfiles/scenery.htmlThe OpenScenery X library referred to is here: http://www.opensceneryx.com/I've not explored the packages too much until recently. If I have some time maybe I'll try it out and post screenshots, but for now I'll reserve comment on how they are vs. default FS. The bottom line is this: X-Plane lacks DEFAULT scenery that is better than X-Plane default. Anything you have to download and install is add-on scenery, so while the OpenSceneryX/Ted scenery combos may look better than FS defaults, X-Plane still doesn't win when you compare default to default. I'm a heavy XP user, and always will be. I've used both sims, and enjoy both, but my preference remains with X-Plane. I love the add-ons for FS, but when the FS2XPlane converter came about, my needs for X-Plane were covered, and I left FS. There's good and bad in both sims, but there is no doubt that you can have the same (if not better) effects in X-Plane than in FS. We're still waiting for the day that someone makes a true PMDG/LevelD-like simulation. It's possible to do (very), however, no one has done it just yet.
Thanks for the links!

Well I downloaded the kdtw scenery and it looked pretty good though a little low res compared to fsx..However, with xplane rc2 I can't run more than about 1-2 minutes without having a video driver crash-I was gonna take a few screen shots and put a compare here but it just didn't work out...

Guest Cameron

Geof,I have seen in screenshot threads that you are using the latest Nvidia drivers. They are known to be causing issues with X-Plane at this time.

Geof,I have seen in screenshot threads that you are using the latest Nvidia drivers. They are known to be causing issues with X-Plane at this time.
I had the problem before the latest drivers. I've actually never been able to get it to run for more than just a few minutes. It seems to be an opengl nvidia problem.

Guest Setanta

I'm guessing that the main thrust of this thread is about the relative merits of X-Plane/MSFS scenery and just how capable X-Plane is so I thought I'd throw up a quick screenshot of EDDM as an example of what X-Plane is actually capable of. OK, it's not a great screenshot, and this particular package is still in beta so there are a few little glitches, but I think it shows what X-Plane can do.Oh, and it's free BTW :) So go download it for yourself and see what it's really like ;)Setanta

Guest DeltaMD88
I wouldn't do that. You loose a nice real life quality of the sim by going backwards to MSFS model of scenery...flat runways. One of the things I like best in Xplane especially 9, is the sloping runways that are default in the sim.To fix floating buildings and the like that are converted from MSFS world, just edit the object files elevation data. Reset it to "0" and the Xplane scenery engine will set it on the terrain following the contour.