Sign in to follow this  
BladeLWS

FS2004 will we be vectored into terrain again?

Guest Andrew

FS2002 ATC under IFR will vector you into a mountain if you dont stay awake.Will this happen in FS2004?

After what I have heard the ATC in FS2004 won't vector you in to terrain.

I was almost vectored into terrain on VATSIM yesterday...And it's happened to real aircraft as well.The lesson: get used to looking out of the windows, ATC is there to help and guide but you're ultimately responsible.

>The lesson: get used to looking out of the windows, ATC is>there to help and guide but you're ultimately responsible.If you can see ..At night or in IFR weather it is rather difficult. On IFR flight it is controller's responsibility to provide terrain clearance. But pilots can't get complacent about it - double checking is a healthy thing. Michael J.

Guest A386

Are there some well-known routes for Airliners that are very high risk for terrain hits ?And, by the way, the Airbus A380 will provide a vertical display on the NAV that really should help to not touch a mountain ! Somebody said that Boeing has a vertical display available as an option to new planes, too.http://airbus.dyndns.info/A380/ (Glass Cockpit section)

I don't know about 2004, but the other night I did a flight from San Diego to north Los Angeles that went awry...Besides getting into an endless "turn to heading" loop, I was at 2 miles visibility and keeping my eyes down... after about ten minutes of hoping to get through the vectoring nightmare, I decided to "look around" - so I turned up the visibilty to 10 and glanced out my window...At about 1200 ft:Westbound, straight in front of me: Los Angeles. Not the airport, the city.To my left:Hillside with houses.Looked out my passenger-side window...Hillside with houses!Somehow (and luckily) I had been vectored straight through a dip in the mountains. Weird.Andrew

Guest Andrew

He he thats funny, I can imagine running out of fuel trying to get back to the runway :-lol

Happened to me on Vatsim at one time, it was the dead of night, its was kind of crowded around Denver and I was descending into the pattern via controllers instructions. Just to see where I was I turned on my FSFlightmax, and turned on the terrain avoidance radar and my screen was all red. I was like, hmm maybe its a bug, so I flipped some switches and nothing happened. I looked back outside and all the lights in Denver and the airport just went out. I was thinking UHOH time to pull up. I yanked back on the stick and went outside to check my clearance, I missed it by about 20 feet! I then called the ATC in Denver and said, hey buddy, your instructions almost ran me into a mountain, then I heard pilots on the same freq all call the controller to make sure they were clear of terrain, it was hilarious.