Sign in to follow this  
flyerkg

New Fly! CD setup does not run

I have been following recent discussions on FLY! Legacy and all the previous releases of FLY and just received shipment of FLY! and FLY 2K through Ebay to give it another shot. It is either bad luck that something has corrupted both CDs or I am too dumb to get the compatibility issue together. I tried to run in compatibility with MS98, 95 etc... NothingUpon loading the CD the auto-run does absolutely nothing. My next step was, I explore the folder and try to manually start the installation, but no action. Please help if anyone has an idea of this issue.V/rKeith

Keith Guillory

Hi Keith.Can you be more specific? What version OS, how many CDs, what file are you executing?If you can Explore the CD you are able to read it, the fact that it does not Autorun is not necessarily a problem. Can you move the contents to a HD and try again. I had one set that the second CD would not load, but I've never seen a set that had 2 CDs not working. Look on the back side and make sure it's clean, no scratches etc.Post here for more help. TV

Hi Keith.Can you be more specific? What version OS, how many CDs, what file are you executing?If you can Explore the CD you are able to read it, the fact that it does not Autorun is not necessarily a problem. Can you move the contents to a HD and try again. I had one set that the second CD would not load, but I've never seen a set that had 2 CDs not working. Look on the back side and make sure it's clean, no scratches etc.Post here for more help. TV
Hello,I am running Windows XP SP3. The original Fly! comes with 3 CDs 1 - Program Install, 2 - Satellite Scenery and 3 - Sectional Charts.I am able to explore the install cd and tried to copy all files to my hard drive. I have tried running the Setup application but this does absolutely nothing. I have attempted running with different compatibility modes and get no response. I am hoping I can find some related forum to this issue. Thank you.

Keith Guillory

Hello,I am running Windows XP SP3. The original Fly! comes with 3 CDs 1 - Program Install, 2 - Satellite Scenery and 3 - Sectional Charts.I am able to explore the install cd and tried to copy all files to my hard drive. I have tried running the Setup application but this does absolutely nothing. I have attempted running with different compatibility modes and get no response. I am hoping I can find some related forum to this issue. Thank you.
Hi Keith,Under XP, the install file may take a bit of time to actually start displaying the setup menu itself. And sometimes the latest version of Windows InstallShield doesn't always like the older install programs. I have had the installer take as much as five minutes to actually do something once I've cllicked "install". Now, I DO run Fly! 2k and my FLy! II programs under the Win98 compatibility mode, with no problem. Which video card are you using? Fly!2K will require you to know which card so as to set up the "vidcard.vcf" file correctly. One needs to assign texture slots in order for good functionality. Check the FAQs up at the top of the forum for help with this, or let me know and I can post some of the tips I've collected regarding the older vcf file stuff. I myself use a nVidia TI4200 card. I am running WinXP SP3 as well, so it *will* work! Big%20Grin.gifLet me know how it goes with the install waiting period!Cheers,

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Ken,Thank you for the information. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 1GBI will try a few more times and wait longer to see what happens. Also, I should check the FAQs you mention.I have both Fly! and Fly!2K. The sad thing is I got rid of my FLY! II and found the other 2 CDs on an online auction for only a couple of dollars.

Keith Guillory

Ken,Thank you for the information. My video card is NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 1GBI will try a few more times and wait longer to see what happens. Also, I should check the FAQs you mention.I have both Fly! and Fly!2K. The sad thing is I got rid of my FLY! II and found the other 2 CDs on an online auction for only a couple of dollars.
A couple of other tircks you might can try that I just thought of this morning... First and foremost, check and if necessary Defrag the HDD. Second - if you are familiar with the RegRdit program (in the Windows folder) can do a Search for all Fly related entries and delete those references, then reboot and try installing once again. Video-wise I would double check nVidia's site and see if the older 29.42 drivers work with the 8600 GT. Now, I know they always worked the best for me with Fly! II - and they worked well with my Fly!2K version. And Fly!2K was a Fly! updated version of Fly!, excepting going to the version 88 patch update. If you are able to get the program to load / install, PM me here with email and I can send my TI4200.vcf files for you to use and tweak out to save a little time in setting up the vcf file. Can also search the forum archives for VCF tweaks and should find some old tips as well. The last time I did a search of eBay yielded a MAC version copy of Fly! II - and that was some time ago. Me being the terrible pack-rat I am, I have virtually every flight sim I've ever bought - most are in a box down in storage! :( Let em know how things go, and can still try to get them up and running. My Fly!2K looks good, and I use the Chicagoland file which was enhanced Chicago area with very good resolution scenery. I think the cloud effects in Fly!2K were much better, and Rob Young's tweaks for the original planes were terrific. Cheers!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster