Sign in to follow this  
ray hughes

Windows 7 RC 32 bit and textures

I have been playing around with Windows 7 32 bit (eval copy version 7100) and have installed FSX and both service packs. My observations to date are that it does run smoother all round with little or no tweaking of the fsx config file. I have subsequently imported some old FS9 models across such as my DC9-10s which run without penalty on fsx sp2 under Windows XP.Immediately I choose them to fly I get a huge FPS drop and jerky behavior starts.I know DX11 is incorporated in windows 7 so I enabled the dx10 option in FSX -This resulted in no difference in performance with these imports, but I did note that there seemed to be absolutely no impact on frame rates with this option enabled.I realize the textures on the JCA DC9's are getting long in the tooth and without having imported further FS9 based models I wonder if this is the death knell finally for those non FSX models?Ray

Ray, please reinstall Win 7 64bit. It will run FSX as smooth as a babies bottom.Cheersjja

I have been playing around with Windows 7 32 bit (eval copy version 7100) and have installed FSX and both service packs. My observations to date are that it does run smoother all round with little or no tweaking of the fsx config file. I have subsequently imported some old FS9 models across such as my DC9-10s which run without penalty on fsx sp2 under Windows XP.Immediately I choose them to fly I get a huge FPS drop and jerky behavior starts.I know DX11 is incorporated in windows 7 so I enabled the dx10 option in FSX -This resulted in no difference in performance with these imports, but I did note that there seemed to be absolutely no impact on frame rates with this option enabled.I realize the textures on the JCA DC9's are getting long in the tooth and without having imported further FS9 based models I wonder if this is the death knell finally for those non FSX models?Ray

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Ray, please reinstall Win 7 64bit. It will run FSX as smooth as a babies bottom.Cheersjja
Actually I picked up this RC thru work on a DVD - the IT dept were pleased I wanted to try it..... There did not appear to be an option to install 64bit Windows 7 ?? I know, because I was wondering at the time if I should use that instead. Did I miss something??

You could download the 64bit version and burn your own DVD if you are so inclined. You will need a (freee) DVD ISO burner and of course a writable DVD drive and DVD..http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspxGood Luckjja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

You could download the 64bit version and burn your own DVD if you are so inclined. You will need a (freee) DVD ISO burner and of course a writable DVD drive and DVD..http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/download.aspxGood Luckjja
The download size is one of the reasons I picked up the RC from work... The download off the web would just kill my monthly 10gig allowance - and sadly, since my wife's return to university her usage has shot up and we share the same quota....need I say more...thank you for the suggestions though.Ray