Sign in to follow this  
neilydone

New Videocard or more memory?

Hi all,I am interested in views / advice as to whether I should get a new videocard or more memory to run FSX on Win XP / 7 system.My system is Win XP / 7 dual boot and I run both FSX and FS9 with a range of commercial addons. I have 2GB RAM, a overclocked E6850 CPU currently running at 3.6Ghz and a PCI X1950 Pro 512MB card.Currently under FSX my system runs with quite a lot of stuttering which I am keen to reduce if possible. The addons I run are Traffic X (airline traffic at 30%) UTX, GEX and REX. I am not trying to run with settings on mad levels, having Autogen at normal. I have turned cars way down in UTX.Thus the question is would it be best to get a new card or another 2GB memory? If a card, what sort? I read with some interest the posts that indicate a Radeon 4650 would be sufficient (but this does not seem to be markedly more than the card I have at the present time).Thanks in advance!Neil

Yes, I too would double the RAM. Specially if you use heavy addons like the ones you mentioned. Your graphics card has 512MB of RAM and it's pretty descent so I would leave it as is if you are on a budget. Best Regrads,F.K.

Cool, thanks very much for the tip!Neil
If your running a 32bit o/s then you will most likely have to use the '/3GB /userva=2560' switches in the 'boot.ini' file;otherwise if your o/s is 64bit they will not be necessary. Do not mess up your 'boot.ini' file!

I think you'll find upgrading that video card will provide a larger boost than doubling your RAM, but both upgrades are worthwhile. A 9800 GT can be had for a mere $100 online, and RAM is cheap as can be these days. $50 buys 4GB of DDR2 1066 online.

Thanks very much all for the tips and advice.I had heard about the 3GB switch.I am assuming that this card will likely present a good general perf increase over and above what I already have? I am assuming I shoudl go for a 512MB or above 9800?Thanks!Neil

Which card, the 4650 or the 9800 GT? Both will be faster than your current card by a good amount but the 9800 GT is the faster of the two.

Which card, the 4650 or the 9800 GT? Both will be faster than your current card by a good amount but the 9800 GT is the faster of the two.
Hi,i was referring to the 9800 GT.... I am prepared to change alleigence to Nvidia given comments elsewhere about the perf of these cards in heavy cloud scenarios....THanks again!Neil