Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

FSX: Win 7 RC to RTM Upgrades

Just a quick post to mention to anyone that's been running a large tweaked FSX install on Win 7 RC,if you don't want to do a clean install for Win 7 RTM and FSX right away,you can use the cversion.ini change to allow for an in place upgrade.I did one yesterday and it upgraded fine.Only had to reinstall the 182.50 video driver and a jMicron esata driver.All programs, addons, etc., work so far as expected, no reactivation of FSX needed either.Update instructions : http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/04/0...experience.aspxI'm sure a clean install is best when I have the time and motivationbut when I started making a list of everything for FSX I neededto install and tweak, I decided a in place upgrade would do for now :)

Thanks for posting this. Am going to need it.Ed

Yes thanks for posting, I will need it too. I got FSX running so well right now, I don't want to re-do it again, If I don't have to.Rob

Guest roddymod

Hi,The link you have given describes a process for updating W7 Beta to W7 RC NOT W7RC to RTM.There are no shortcuts to getting a stable FSX installation. A clean install of Windows 7 Retail followed by a clean install of FSX>Sp1>SP2 will be the way to go.

Guest dswo

This http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/3075/how-to...ws-7-rc-to-rtm/ describes how to upgrade RC to RTM/GA without a clean install; however, it only works if your RTM/GA version is Ultimate.* Which isn't to say a clean install isn't safer...RC = free release candidateRTM/GA = release to manufacturing/general availability* Because RC version is Ultimate, and you can't downgrade.