Sign in to follow this  
Guest chezz123

terrascene

Guest chezz123

Hi,Does anybody have an idea how to make terrascene (TS2)read USGS data from the disc or hard drive rather than connecting to http://wingswithwires which is no longer existing.I am trying to do some terrascene.Help will be much appreciated.Thankschris_CA

Hi,Does anybody have an idea how to make terrascene (TS2)read USGS data from the disc or hard drive rather than connecting to http://wingswithwires which is no longer existing.I am trying to do some terrascene.Help will be much appreciated.Thankschris_CA
Twso ways Chris - 1.) Copy any data you may have into the file structure as outlined in the Terrascene manual; 2.) Find someone who has the data on DVD who would be willing to make a copy. I would, but I do not have (at this time) a DVD burner.:-( The included installer copies everything into the Terrascene program for you. Third option is to see if (and hope!) the Library has an area you are interested in doing and is not corrupt! :(

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Guest 3cffts

Hello Chris,I have a set of DVDs. I copied them to my hard drive in their own directory. If you then create a Terrascene project and save it in the Terrascene \Projects directory, you can access it from the SceneCopy.exe file that exists in each CD file. This is despite what it says in the CD .htm file (that you can only install from the CD). I find that it works well installing files from the hard drive. Just be sure that when you open an existing project, that the xxxx.tsp project file is in the TerraScene\projects directory and not in some other location. BTW I find it necessary to get a couple of files from the internet because they were not found on the CDs.... KSLC area.If you need a dvd, let me know. Brian

Guest chezz123
Hello Chris,I have a set of DVDs. I copied them to my hard drive in their own directory. If you then create a Terrascene project and save it in the Terrascene \Projects directory, you can access it from the SceneCopy.exe file that exists in each CD file. This is despite what it says in the CD .htm file (that you can only install from the CD). I find that it works well installing files from the hard drive. Just be sure that when you open an existing project, that the xxxx.tsp project file is in the TerraScene\projects directory and not in some other location. BTW I find it necessary to get a couple of files from the internet because they were not found on the CDs.... KSLC area.If you need a dvd, let me know. Brian
Hi Brian and Ken,I have USGS Cd's which was sent tom me long time ago by randall. I need help how to disable TS2 auto download in the TS2 Advance settings or change it to read from my CD so it will not look for data in the internet once I click the render button in TS2. A step by step instruction will help.Thankschris_CA

Guest 3cffts

Hello Chris,I have just finished an installation of TS2 in the root directory of C:\. I created a new project with its bounds only, no rendering details, and then saved it. SceneCopy.exe found the project and loaded the files from the CD.The next step is that you must be 'on-line', before you open the project in TS2 and start to render. I did this and after searching the net and not finding the info, TS2 automatically found the files loaded with SceneCopy.exe. It then started rendering/parsing just fine.Brian.

Hi Brian and Ken,I have USGS Cd's which was sent tom me long time ago by randall. I need help how to disable TS2 auto download in the TS2 Advance settings or change it to read from my CD so it will not look for data in the internet once I click the render button in TS2. A step by step instruction will help.Thankschris_CA
Hi Chris,Generally speaking, what I do is:1. Start TS and define my area - save the project to a file.2. Using the DVDs/CDs sent by Randall, I load in the project name and let the SceneCopy file do its thing.3. After copying in all the files into TS, I then restart TS and reload the project.4. Once I set up my parameters (whether or not I want snow and at what elevation, etc), I will then click on Render.5. I do not automatically pod if I am doing a coastal area, as I have to manually correct the generated image for *Blocks of Land* that like to generate offshore. 6. IF I have to do the above for coastal rendering, I will correct my image and go into TS one more time.7. When I get ready to start this time, I will select *Use Existing* for the day, night and water, ensure it will make the pod on this pass by checking that box, then click render.8. Once that is done, I usually have no problem loading in my new scenery. It really does not matter, Chris... you can not stop the auto-seek feature. IF you have used the SceneCopy program correctly, all files needed should be loaded into their proper spots, and TS *should* find them and begin on its own. Only thing is, if there are areas missing data, that may hang you up. You can try to find shapefiles or some Tigerdata to help fill in the missing parts (you would have to go in and manually add the information into the mix)... Randall has a coup[le of scenery area paks where he added in Tiger Census data and you have to manually add that data into the file structure. Randall provided very easy to follow directions, so you might find one of his scenery areas to try and just download it. If too large, maybe Randall can post those instructions in the FAQ / Tutorial section of the forum.Let us know if the above helps, buddy.Cheers!Ken

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

Guest chezz123
Hi Chris,Generally speaking, what I do is:1. Start TS and define my area - save the project to a file.2. Using the DVDs/CDs sent by Randall, I load in the project name and let the SceneCopy file do its thing.3. After copying in all the files into TS, I then restart TS and reload the project.4. Once I set up my parameters (whether or not I want snow and at what elevation, etc), I will then click on Render.5. I do not automatically pod if I am doing a coastal area, as I have to manually correct the generated image for *Blocks of Land* that like to generate offshore. 6. IF I have to do the above for coastal rendering, I will correct my image and go into TS one more time.7. When I get ready to start this time, I will select *Use Existing* for the day, night and water, ensure it will make the pod on this pass by checking that box, then click render.8. Once that is done, I usually have no problem loading in my new scenery. It really does not matter, Chris... you can not stop the auto-seek feature. IF you have used the SceneCopy program correctly, all files needed should be loaded into their proper spots, and TS *should* find them and begin on its own. Only thing is, if there are areas missing data, that may hang you up. You can try to find shapefiles or some Tigerdata to help fill in the missing parts (you would have to go in and manually add the information into the mix)... Randall has a coup[le of scenery area paks where he added in Tiger Census data and you have to manually add that data into the file structure. Randall provided very easy to follow directions, so you might find one of his scenery areas to try and just download it. If too large, maybe Randall can post those instructions in the FAQ / Tutorial section of the forum.Let us know if the above helps, buddy.Cheers!Ken
Hi Ken,I am using TS version 2.1 , I can't find the SCENECOPY in TS2.1 which was mentioned in this forum." Using the DVDs/CDs sent by Randall, I load in the project name and let the SceneCopy file do its thing"thanks

Guest 3cffts

Chris,The ScenCopy.exe file is located on the DVDs provided by Randall. There is a copy on each DVD. If you have copied the DVDs in their entirety into your hard drive, that is where I would go to find ScenCopy.exe ... and load the scenery files.Brian.

Hi Chris,Both Ken and Brian are correct. I was trying to lead you in that direction with the PM a while back - I'm sorry if I didn't make it plain enough. To fine-tune all responses:1. Copy all of the DVD folders to their own directory on your hard drive. This is a lot of data, so it takes some time. The nice thing about doing it this way is that it will save you much time in the future and you will not have to run the original disks again (saving wear and tear and keeping them as back-ups). I keep all data that I obtain for TS-generation in a directory called TS_Data. In this directory I have two master folders: Manual and USGS. I copied all of the directories (except for the TerraScene program folder itself) from the USGS DVD disks into USGS. I use the Manual folder to store downloaded shapefiles (such as 2000 Census data to add features later than are available from the USGS data.2. Create your project in TS2, creating the boundaries of the globe tile you wish to generate. Close TS23. Open any of the USGS folders you transferred and double-click the .htm file - it contains a US map, showing which "CD disk"/folder covers that area. Please note the number of the "CD" - there may be an overlap for your data and you may need to download the data into TS2 from more than one to give TS2 everything it needs for your project.4. Navigate to the first USGS CD folder for your data and double-click the SceneCopy.Exe file within. It will ask for your project file - navigate to it in the TS2\Projects folder. SceneCopy will then install all of the appropriate files into the TS2 data folder. It will give you a report as to whether it is finished or needs other data. If it needs more, go to the adjoining scenery area CD folder and double-click its SceneCopy program. Continue this procedure until SceneCopy informs you that your project is ready.5. Open TS2 and set the render parameters you wish to use. TS2 will find all of the data is in-hand (thereby ignoring the online data sources) and begin to render your scenery.I use a similar procedure to Ken in that there are usually small errors in the USGS data that will leave marks/missing textures in the images. Though most of these are water mask errors (the easiest to correct), some of them are in land areas, so a little patience with Photoshop or a similar program is required. After editing the tiles, I restart TS2, telling it to "Use Existing" images, and it parses the global tile with my image edits included.In an ideal world, I had hoped I could use the USGS data from Frank Racis on the hard drive with TS2 accessing the files directly, replacing the TS2 URLs with the local addresses. Apparently, TS2 is looking for a format in the data that doesn't exist on Frank's disks, so that approach (for now) doesn't work. However, Frank's SceneCopy program is excellent and it works well once you have everything in place.

Randall Rocke

I should add...The map file in each CD folder is called ScenCopy.htm and the executable program file is actually ScenCopy.exe. When the data is initially copied onto your hard drive from Frank's disks, be sure to copy the folders exactly, such as USGS_CD01, USGS_CD02, etc.

Randall Rocke

Guest chezz123
I should add...The map file in each CD folder is called ScenCopy.htm and the executable program file is actually ScenCopy.exe. When the data is initially copied onto your hard drive from Frank's disks, be sure to copy the folders exactly, such as USGS_CD01, USGS_CD02, etc.
Hi Randall,Thanks for the clarification. Now I will try all your suggestions.chris_CA

Hi Randall,Thanks for the clarification. Now I will try all your suggestions.chris_CA
My thanks as well, Randall! Now, I have to go and find the latest and greatest TigerCensus data to do updated roads, etc. and re-run many of my favorite areas (most of both Maine and Georgia). Gads, that will take me weeks to do!! :( Chris, hope everything is clearer and everything works out! Do not hesitate to pop back in for any further questions!Cheers!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️