Sign in to follow this  
Gavin

Great flight!

I just completed a flight from UUEE to LOWW. I truly enjoyed it because it allowed me to discover great freeware scenery and "re-discover" a great panel and plane.I used SHEREMETYEVO AIRPORT (UUEE) MOSCOW version 3 from Gary V. (uuee3.zip) and Project Freeware Scenery Wien-Schwechat, LOWW(pfsloww15.zip). They are great sceneries, with all the important features (for me) and don't kill my framerates. Sorry guys, but I have to say this: For me the important stuff is taxi lines, taxi signs, and gates; not tons of trees, passengers inside the terminal, arrival boards etc that kill framerates. I've been a real life pilot (corporate) for 18 years and don't pay much attention to trees when flying and taxiing in real life. However I recognize the effort made by designers and appreciate their great talent.I also used the PIC 767 panel that I've had since FS2000. I had put it away looking for newer and better, but realized that I couldn't find a better panel with a good compromise between readability, seating position, complexity and realism. I prefer a panel with a smaller overhead that allows me to fly and taxi while the overhead panel is opened. I also don't mind if a few switches have been displaced for ease of use and functionnality. Finally I prefer some compromise in the lay-out to allow a pilot's seating position vs a jump seat position. Again being a real life professional pilot, it is very important to me. We fly looking at the ADI and HSI mainly.The plane I used is the Aeroflot 767-300 from Posky, a great plane. It might not visually be up to the current "superstars", but it's still a nice looking airplane. I use the PIC flight model and a merger aircraft.cfg file I modified myself. The flying is great. The frame rate is great. Again sorry but I have to say it: Although I respect and admire the talent of our plane designers, I usually prefer a model without all the visual eye candy that kills framerate. I don't go running all over the cabin in flight so I don't need virtual cabins and so on. Again I understand the designers like to push themselves beyond the limits and they are very talented. For me the flight model is more important than the eye candy. Some people might spend less time on the FDE because all the work and efforts are not as obvious. I also like the logo light linked to the logo swicth from PSS Dash-8. I suppose it's easier to do than create a complete cabin and seats, so why nobody cares about those details and focus on "the cabin" so much?There are a lot of good freeware and payware add-ons out there, but today I realized I don't need tons of planes and panels to enjoy FS, I only need a few excellent products like these. Another plane/panel combination I consider one of the best is the YS-11 from AFG.Thank you to all the designers out there for making FS an enjoyable product. Without you I wouldn't even buy FS. I wish Microsoft showed more appretiation for keeping their software alive and on many people's buying list...Danny

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'd have to agree with you 100% on that. Don't have the Wien scenery yet, but based on your advice will look for it now. 767PIC will take a lot of beating...it just WORKS, doesn't it?Gavin