Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

New system being built next week W7 or Vista 64?

Hello all,I'm currently using XP and FSX (well I was until yesterday when my hard drive blew, destroying my RAID array...). Anyway, the new I7 rig is in the works and I understand that stores will have W7 next Monday for installs - whether they can sell a system with it next week I don't know yet.I have read many posts in this forum but it seems like many of the posts are about problems with W7RC and FSX. It is hard to gauge the overall experience with W7. So the question is, which OS should I have installed in the new system? I will have a lot of add ons (scenery and aircraft), FSUIPC, ASA, GEX, UTX, REX2, Saitek yoke and TC's. I tend to add freeware scenery and aircraft manually and I don't use the built in scenery library. I have a buffalo NAS drive and I will probably install Office and a printer. The new system is a P6T Deluxe V2, I7-920, 6GB RAM, GTX285. FSX will be on a separate drive than the OS.I want to be able to install everything, tweak and be up in the air. I plan to buy more add ons once the system is ready and I don't want to fumble around with incompatible auto installers.Should I have Vista64 installed or should I take the Windows 7 plunge. In the end, I will end up with W7 but I don't want to have to wait around for drivers, patches and updates. I want to hit the ground running.Also, regardless of the OS, does anyone have any "must do's" for the shop that is building the system and installing the OS? I do have a Vista laptop but I am not too familiar with it's nuances. I have read a lot of posts about admin rights and not being to access files. I want to avoid stuff like this if possible.Thanks.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Duckbilled, I run Windows7 64 bit and FS10 and never had a problem with it or any add ons, and I have most all of them. I've been using it for about 3 months now and have yet to run into any problems. I think Microsoft got it right this time. Just%20Kidding.gif

Duckbilled, I run Windows7 64 bit and FS10 and never had a problem with it or any add ons, and I have most all of them. I've been using it for about 3 months now and have yet to run into any problems. I think Microsoft got it right this time. Just%20Kidding.gif
Fewer bugs aside, does Win7 bring anything new to to overall system performance/integration with FSX over Vista64, as in say, memory management, or some other aspect?Also, if currently contemplating an update or new build for FSX: go I7 with Win7 64 over other current Quad cores (9650 I currently have) and Vista64?

Frank L.T

Fewer bugs aside, does Win7 bring anything new to to overall system performance/integration with FSX over Vista64, as in say, memory management, or some other aspect?
Yes - W7 overhauled lots of the underpinnings to bring additional speed and (processing) efficiencies to the platform. This is why W7 is generally considered to be faster than Vista if placed on the same computer. Although not specific to FSX, these improvements seem to smooth out the entire system - making FSX run better. (I've never received any OOM errors with FSX *ever*, so I cannot speak to improvements there)I've been running W7 (RTM, 64-bit) on my machine for a month or so, and it is indeed quicker than my Vista64 install that I had on there prior. Although I had few if any problems with Vista64, Windows 7 feels better, snappier, and overall better. I hate to say that W7 is what Vista "should have been" (because I feel that Vista is indeed a good system), but Windows 7 is where all home computers should head. It is indeed good. If you are performing a new build, heck yeah get an i7 (Lynnfield). I can't speak for the C2Q's, but I came off of a C2D processor and the new i7 860 was a noticeable improvement, in FSX and general computing power. I had zero hiccups installing a fresh copy of W7 onto the new system, and it's been running stable and solid since then. I'm actually ticked off, because my springboard trial of W7 will expire in 60 days or so, and I'll be forced to reinstall all my stuff... it's working so solidly, I am actually NOT looking forward to a reinstall! (*and I am a big proponent of full, fresh reinstalls) With Windows 7 hitting the streets next week, your build timing is perfect. -Greg

Thanks. W7 is already installed. OC being applied, benchamarks and Prime95 being run over the weekend. I should have it in my hands next week,

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Yes - W7 overhauled lots of the underpinnings to bring additional speed and (processing) efficiencies to the platform. This is why W7 is generally considered to be faster than Vista if placed on the same computer. Although not specific to FSX, these improvements seem to smooth out the entire system - making FSX run better. (I've never received any OOM errors with FSX *ever*, so I cannot speak to improvements there)I've been running W7 (RTM, 64-bit) on my machine for a month or so, and it is indeed quicker than my Vista64 install that I had on there prior. Although I had few if any problems with Vista64, Windows 7 feels better, snappier, and overall better. I hate to say that W7 is what Vista "should have been" (because I feel that Vista is indeed a good system), but Windows 7 is where all home computers should head. It is indeed good. If you are performing a new build, heck yeah get an i7 (Lynnfield). I can't speak for the C2Q's, but I came off of a C2D processor and the new i7 860 was a noticeable improvement, in FSX and general computing power. I had zero hiccups installing a fresh copy of W7 onto the new system, and it's been running stable and solid since then. I'm actually ticked off, because my springboard trial of W7 will expire in 60 days or so, and I'll be forced to reinstall all my stuff... it's working so solidly, I am actually NOT looking forward to a reinstall! (*and I am a big proponent of full, fresh reinstalls) With Windows 7 hitting the streets next week, your build timing is perfect. -Greg
Thanks for the input, I'm thinking of moving on it next month or December. Did just read some speculation on limited availability of the Nvidia 200 series cards that could have an impact (Nvidia getting out of high end card market?) but as far as I can tell to the present moment it's not a certainty. Or, maybe Nvidia's getting ready to release their next gen and wants to clean out inventories (sounds like a marketing ploy - rumors can be an effective marketing tool, LOL). I've got a 280 currently and was thinking of going to the 285 for my new 2nd rig. The problem with next gen vid card introductions is always "how long before they release a stable driver that works with FSX".

Frank L.T