Sign in to follow this  
Goair-18

NDB approach help pleaseeee

i just dont understand em, flying from Birmingham airport @ alt 1600 i turn on 050 radial to track the CT NDB on 363.5, but after passing the NDB there is a holding patern, but im sure after passing the NDB track 050 for a few seconds then turn on a 222 heading then back track to rwy 05 at Covenrty??? take a look tell me what you think http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/...EGBE_8-4_en.pdf i know chart is if your coming via the DTY VOR but surly the same flight routing would go for all inbound aircraft to 05???p.s Guys what i dont understand is the holding patern at the end are the arrows on the headings the way your supposed to fly round or are they just pointing towards the headings?? i know im tracking the NDB right just dnt know what to do after???Thanks Danny!!!

Not quite sure if I understand your actual question.I'd say you fly heading 050, cross the beacon then enter the hold. On a 050 heading that would be a parallel opposite entry, then you're in a left hand turn holding, just as the arrows you mention depict. After the holding leave the beacon on QDR 222/219. At D6/7, resp, turn right to intercept final track. At D4 start final descent. There you go.

p.s Guys what i dont understand is the holding patern at the end are the arrows on the headings the way your supposed to fly round or are they just pointing towards the headings?? i know im tracking the NDB right just dnt know what to do after???
The holding pattern is part of the missed approach procedure. From the MAP, continue flying to the NDB, then use a "tear-drop" entry to the holding pattern (i.e. fly out on 080 radial for 1 minute, then left to 230 inbound back to the NDB).Greg

I once asked a CFI this question, and he said that if you are approaching the hold point on the reciprocal, you have the option to either use a parallel entry or teardrop entry at pilot's discretion, in the US.As noted it doesn't look like the hold is part of the approach, which I think is termed a "base turn" approach, rather it is the missed approach.scott s..

i just dont understand em, flying from Birmingham airport @ alt 1600 i turn on 050 radial to track the CT NDB on 363.5, but after passing the NDB there is a holding patern, but im sure after passing the NDB track 050 for a few seconds then turn on a 222 heading then back track to rwy 05 at Covenrty??? take a look tell me what you think http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/current/...EGBE_8-4_en.pdf i know chart is if your coming via the DTY VOR but surly the same flight routing would go for all inbound aircraft to 05???p.s Guys what i dont understand is the holding patern at the end are the arrows on the headings the way your supposed to fly round or are they just pointing towards the headings?? i know im tracking the NDB right just dnt know what to do after???Thanks Danny!!!
Danny,The CT NDB is both the holding for the missed approach, but also the IAF for the approach it self. so what you do is fly from the holding out on the 219 radial outbound till 7dme from the ICTY and then turn right to intercept the 050 radial inbound. once established on the 219 radial you can decend to 1600feet. 4dme from ICTY is the FAF and also the decent point. The arrows on the holding dictates the direction. In this case it's left turn with an inbound course of 230 and a leg distance of 1min.Feel free to post any further questions :DMartin

I once asked a CFI this question, and he said that if you are approaching the hold point on the reciprocal, you have the option to either use a parallel entry or teardrop entry at pilot's discretion, in the US.
True, same applies here in Europe. At least that's what I've been taught. Teardrop is just as fine. But I heard people say "use the entry with the least initial heading change", so that's why I suggested the parallel, but again, it's perfectly alright to use the teardrop as well.
As noted it doesn't look like the hold is part of the approach, which I think is termed a "base turn" approach, rather it is the missed approach.
True, but you could also start the approach out of the holding.On a side note, is it correct that the VOR is no IAF? The chart only declares the NDB to be one. Seems like you could not be cleared for a "standard" straight-in approach out of the VOR, correct? Leave vectored approaches out here, just asking about standard approach starting at IAF. Because in that case you'd have to fly the reversal procedure after crossing the NDB, then fly the base turn. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just curious. Would love to see the corresponding Jepp chart, I am way more used to those. :(

True, same applies here in Europe. At least that's what I've been taught. Teardrop is just as fine. But I heard people say "use the entry with the least initial heading change", so that's why I suggested the parallel, but again, it's perfectly alright to use the teardrop as well. True, but you could also start the approach out of the holding.On a side note, is it correct that the VOR is no IAF? The chart only declares the NDB to be one. Seems like you could not be cleared for a "standard" straight-in approach out of the VOR, correct? Leave vectored approaches out here, just asking about standard approach starting at IAF. Because in that case you'd have to fly the reversal procedure after crossing the NDB, then fly the base turn. Correct me if I'm wrong. Just curious. Would love to see the corresponding Jepp chart, I am way more used to those. :(
Badderjet,I got the jeppesen chart, but I am not allowed to upload it here. Does anyone know where I can upload a pdf file to??Martin

So how do you enter the hold if your flying the NDB AT 050 after your pass the NDB you cnt enter the hold cause youll have oncoming traffic, the hold is flying head 230 towards you 050 passing the NDB!!
You won't have oncoming traffic, as being IFR and doing an IFR approach, Air Traffic Control clears the airspace for you. Only one on the ride at a time.

I got the jeppesen chart, but I am not allowed to upload it here. Does anyone know where I can upload a pdf file to??
Hey there Martin,got access to JeppView? Anyways, you could upload your PDF to some of the online file host services. Usually involves only a few clicks, and often no registration required. Once uploaded you get a download link that you could post here.RegardsEtienne