Sign in to follow this  
vergilmarquardt

Questions on FMS for 747-400

Hi Why is it you can fly the same route and set up the FMS the same way,one time it will perform like it should and the next time it does not,this is more on meeting speed and alltitude restrictions, FMS is not very reliable if you flying a check ride,where you have to meet these restrictionsthanksVergil Marquardt

Vergil,it works well for many, so it has to be something you have on your PC or its operation.

HiWhy is it you can fly the same route and set up the FMS the same way,one time it will perform like it should and the next time it does not,this is more on meeting speed and alltitude restrictions, FMS is not very reliable if you flying a check ride,where you have to meet these restrictionsthanksVergil Marquardt

99% of the time it's pilot error, just being honest. The 747 has been out a long time and there are no major issues regarding LNAV FLCH. However regarding speed, Active sky can cause problems if not configured prpoerly with a reg version of FSUIPCRob

Rob Prest

You'll need to be a little more proficient with your instrument scan. There are quite a few variables that will change the climb profile such as weather, weight, and changes that you make yourself (IE Cost Index). One of the best instruments to monitor is the altitude range arc on the navigational display, which looks like a green halo. The halo represents the point along the path at which the targeted MCP altitude will be reached. I personally use vertical speed on most of my climbs and grab the necessary information for optimal fuel burn from the FMC.

You'll need to be a little more proficient with your instrument scan. There are quite a few variables that will change the climb profile such as weather, weight, and changes that you make yourself (IE Cost Index). One of the best instruments to monitor is the altitude range arc on the navigational display, which looks like a green halo. The halo represents the point along the path at which the targeted MCP altitude will be reached. I personally use vertical speed on most of my climbs and grab the necessary information for optimal fuel burn from the FMC.
Hi Kevin thanks for your reply,Y ou must must fly the 747-F cargo Is here any difference in the 747-400 and the 747-F as far as flying,what do you use 2D or virtual mode,I have been flying the 747-400,it seems to be very sensitive,I ahve the sensitivity way over to the left, I have been flying using the FMS,I have been practicing for a check ride for our Virtual airlines,(DVA) I have to fly without auto pilot on on takeoff,until I reach 10000ft and on landing also,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanksVergil Marquardt
QUOTE (THBatMan8 @ Oct 25 2009, 08:51 AM) post_snapback.gifYou'll need to be a little more proficient with your instrument scan. There are quite a few variables that will change the climb profile such as weather, weight, and changes that you make yourself (IE Cost Index). One of the best instruments to monitor is the altitude range arc on the navigational display, which looks like a green halo. The halo represents the point along the path at which the targeted MCP altitude will be reached. I personally use vertical speed on most of my climbs and grab the necessary information for optimal fuel burn from the FMC.Hi Kevinthanks for your reply,Y ou must must fly the 747-F cargo Is here any difference in the 747-400 and the 747-F as far as flying,what do you use 2D or virtual mode,I have been flying the 747-400,it seems to be very sensitive,I ahve the sensitivity way over to the left, I have been flying using the FMS,I have been practicing for a check ride for our Virtual airlines,(DVA) I have to fly without auto pilot on on takeoff,until I reach 10000ft and on landing also,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanksVergil Marquardt

.Hi Kevinthanks for your reply,Y ou must must fly the 747-F cargo Is here any difference in the 747-400 and the 747-F as far as flying,what do you use 2D or virtual mode,I have been flying the 747-400,it seems to be very sensitive,I ahve the sensitivity way over to the left, I have been flying using the FMS,I have been practicing for a check ride for our Virtual airlines,(DVA) I have to fly without auto pilot on on takeoff,until I reach 10000ft and on landing also,any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.thanksVergil Marquardt
As far as flying itself, there isn't much of a difference between the two. Correct, I do use the 2d panel. I can suggest that you keep the MCP updated, as in selecting VNAV, LNAV, or HDG SEL, etc and follow the crosshairs on the flight director. Keep your turns smooth and coordinated as the Queen doesn't like to be bullied around. Also, don't forget to trim the aircraft. Landing is easy once you get the hang of it. I don't know what DVA SOP's are but try doing some landings with flaps at 25. Make minor corrections once you're established on the localizer and glidepath. Use the ailerons to align the aircraft's tracked path with the runway and use the rudder to align the nose, if necessary during a crosswind. It takes a lot of practice to get decent at flying the 744 manually, but when you get the hang of it, it's very rewarding.