Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

barryward12345

Help with DirectX please

HiI have an oldish machine - Intel Core 2 Duo6600, WindowsXP SP2, ATI AGP x800 vid card.Having had this for a few years, I have many times reformated the Hdd and reinstalled Windows and all programs etc. Format the Hdd, install Windows, install MOBO drivers, install Vid card drivers. - never ever had a problem.BUT - this time, there is something wrong with my vid card. Everything was working very nicely before getting a Trojan - which required me to reinstall. In DXDIAG, I have no Direct3D available. Have tried EVERYTHING - , reinstalled Windows, latest MOBO drivers, latest DirectX, tried many different drivers (having cleaned out old ones with Driver Cleaner) But no good !! Am now at wits end and wondering if there could be a hardware problem. Control panel is all clear - no problems (no yellow question marks) - it says I have an ATI X800 installed. But Google Earth tells me that it cannot find a video card and therefore can't run.I have searched Google - and find that this is a VERY common problem, with the only solutions offered is to reinstall drivers, etc. HELP PLEASE!!!Barry

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

AGP is a dead platform. ATi hasn't properly supported it for years. You probably need an old driver. And I mean old. Like Catalyst 7 series (as in from 2007).

AGP is a dead platform. ATi hasn't properly supported it for years. You probably need an old driver. And I mean old. Like Catalyst 7 series (as in from 2007).
Problem solved -- and it is a problem that is stated all over the Internet with no answer.I tried everything - including old Catalyst drivers. The Control panel showed that everything was Ok - but the DXDIAG showed no acceleration..In Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Display adaptors - I uninstalled the Vid card ( Right click - uninstall) . The machine rebooted and then found the drivers that had been installed. For some reason unknown to me, the machine was not installing the correct drivers upon installation of the drivers - even though it appeared that it had. All OK nowBarry

Windows keeps a cache of old driver files. It is likely one or more of these files was conflicting with the new driver installation and an uninstall/reinstall was necessary. For future reference, that should be a first step when troubleshooting graphics card issues.