Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Iceking007

Upgrading Scenery with addons

I have recently downloaded alot of addons for FS9 including airport upgrades city and provincial Lanclasses and scenery ect. Most all of these addons have gone to the (Addon Scenery Folder) low and behold in my some-what organized filing system in an attempt to ease "House Cleaning" and Trouble shooting or what ever may arise. The latest that I am working on installing are some Railway, Roadway and Water textures; however the authors state to place these files in the World scenery folders replacing the default MS ones. What I am wondering is will these upgrades work if I install them dirrectly to my add on scenery folder? I am wondering weather the add on folder wouldn't automatically replace the default ones is that not the point? Further more if I added them to a specific city or region the FS would only use them for wich city or region I placed them in is that not correct? It's my understanding that when FS loads any files it looks for the names of regions in the Scenery List and loads from the ground up so you could create folders for Alberta, or Edmonton, or possably North America?? correct me if I'm wrong on that. Thank you for your time!P.S. I am currently working on paintin my first aircraft which is going well and updating a local aerodrome which is currently at a brick wall; I will be searching for help on that upcoming however if any one can steer me to some good topics or send me pointers that would be appreciated currently trying to: Get rid of default houses in my airfield as it is in the Real location and there should be farms around it... also trying to move the taxi way sign (which should be two signs) so they are in the correct location!Thank you again!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Normally textures such as those will not be read from any folder except the one they are in by default, and you will not get regional specificity if you try putting them elsewhere anyway.Hope this helps,

I think terrain textures are selected based on either the landclass/waterclass system (driven by the control file lclookup.bgl) or the vector terrain system via terrain.cfg file. I think the textures read through terrain.cfg must be in world\texture but the landclass textrues could be in a paired scenery area\texture folder. If you try the paired texture folder route you must have all required textures (by whatever landclass file is in the paired scenery folder) in the folder or you get the well-known memory bug.To avoid headaches I would backup the world/texture folder, or main texture folder, and then install the replacements in the folder recommended by the developer. scott s..