Sign in to follow this  
IMAGRANDPA2

Navigating VOR radial?

I am old and have limited intelligence I guess!! Can some tell me how to set up the 747-400 to track a specific VOR radial? I can't seem to figure it out and I can't find the necessary reference in the manual.Thanks folks,Eric Olson

I am old and have limited intelligence I guess!! Can some tell me how to set up the 747-400 to track a specific VOR radial? I can't seem to figure it out and I can't find the necessary reference in the manual.Thanks folks,Eric Olson
Page 7-4 Cockpit Overview/Navigation Systems section in the Operating Manual:The VOR receivers can be tuned manually by using the NAV RAD page on any FMC/MCDU. VOR bearing pointers and information can be displayed on the navigation display if the crew selects the VOR L/R switches ON from the EFIS-Mode Control Panel. VOR bearing pointers are available in all navigation modes except PLN.

Well, it's me again and my favourite FMC page. :( Push the FIX button t bring up the FIX page of the FMCEnter the VOR's name. (No need to know the frequency)Under the fix name you'll find:---/------/------/---If you want a specific radial, (say 270) enter it:270/---Now, look at your ND screen, there it is the green dotted line you want to follow.So, just follow the line, by hand or using the MCP Heading mode.

Thanks guys. I am able to follow your instructions but I didn't make my original post very clear. What I really was asking was, how to configure things so that the autopilot is commanded to track a specific radial. I know that there are much simpler ways of getting from A to B with 747 technology but being a GA pilot where autopilot tracking of a VOR radial is a basic navigation technique, I just wondered how to accomplish the same task with an airplane as sophisticated as the 747.Cheers,Eric Olson

Thanks guys. I am able to follow your instructions but I didn't make my original post very clear. What I really was asking was, how to configure things so that the autopilot is commanded to track a specific radial. I know that there are much simpler ways of getting from A to B with 747 technology but being a GA pilot where autopilot tracking of a VOR radial is a basic navigation technique, I just wondered how to accomplish the same task with an airplane as sophisticated as the 747.Cheers,Eric Olson
Hi Eric I know what you mean, but there is not possible to track a specific radial by specific autopilot VOR/LOC mode which is present e.g. in B737. B747 has not this MCP mode and you must command the track by heading mode only along the green dotted line track which is appeared on your ND if you set NAV RAD page on FMC properly. I know that it is not much comfortable but the primary navigation source of B747 is LNAV mode of MCP managed by FMS.Have a good time,Martin