Sign in to follow this  

FSD! Im over add-ons with anti-piracy built in.

Guest danowat

I'm sorry what language?

"Ive been polite! Have I not???"No you were not. I have been shown your email to the FSD team, and you were definitely not polite. In fact, it is probably the most agregious example of an abusive email that I have ever seen. We don't want users here that do such things, and your account has been banned.Folks, take it from me, members of our community do not want this type of individual amongst us. And though he may or may not have a legitimate issue with FSD's security procedures, his communications with the team did not help to solve this issue.

Guest Steve Small

>I notice you did not include the log in your >post that shows FSD claiming you've installed >on seven different computers. If you're installing >on many different systems, I'm afraid I can't blame them.Peter was very selective in what he "quoted", and also was very economical with the truth.Server logs ?CommanderDATE TIME PC ID IP6/5/2003 5:28:39 PM 2474073 203.123.64.149 6/12/2003 6:23:26 AM 869010 203.123.64.148 6/15/2003 1:44:32 AM 3274254 203.194.5.53 7/5/2003 8:39:54 AM 5734985 203.123.64.148 DECLI 7/6/2003 11:07:51 PM 5734985 203.123.64.148Cheyenne 5/1/2003 7:20:33 AM 8346143 203.123.64.150 5/2/2003 6:23:29 AM 7146920 202.129.95.21 5/11/2003 12:17:00 AM 7150445 203.123.64.150 DECLI 5/11/2003 5:10:28 AM 7150445 203.123.64.150 5/24/2003 1:13:00 AM 6586004 203.123.64.150 DECLI 5/24/2003 3:02:59 AM 6586004 203.123.64.150 5/26/2003 5:29:19 AM 2474073 203.123.64.150 6/12/2003 6:24:24 AM 869010 203.123.64.148 6/15/2003 1:33:08 AM 3274254 203.194.5.53 7/6/2003 11:09:19 PM 5734985 203.123.64.148 Each "PC ID" represents a different computer. Count them all. You might notice that out of fifteen authorised reinstalls to date you can see three only were initially declined but were subsequently authorised on request as recently as TODAY before Peter's posting ... something that was conveniently "overlooked" in his post. Our software reinstalls can be performed without limit or reference to the server on the same PC, however we cannot accomodate people with these sort of abnormal usage patterns without asking questions because question that arises is : "why do we see so many software installs on so many computers in such a short space of time". Rather than have a disagreement, we generally terminate the license and refund the sale but it has to be said that whilst Peter's usage patterns are pretty extreme we have accommodated folks with patterns that are even more abnormal.I really hate to inject these few facts into the discussion here, but Peter's statement should be seen for what it is, and that is, untruthful. Peter has not even been disadvantaged, and in fact only hours before he started this dishonest thread I had authorised further installs of both products.I suggest folks read the server logs above which speak for themselves. .....Steve SmallCanberra, Australiahttp://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gif

Guest BrianC

Intuit claims that only one in three people who filed returns with TurboTax actually purchased the software (5.5 million purchasers, 15 million returns).Maturity apparently does not trump thievery.

>I'm sorry what language?Profanity is not allowed in the Avsim forums, I understand that

Guest danowat

Your kidding right?

Guest jason2112

In a day or two I will install the new processor and mainboard that I ordered last saturday, and during this process I'm going to do a fresh install of WinXP and FS2002. Then in about five or six weeks I'll hopfully receive my copy of FS2004. I have a lot of payware addons, and in about six weeks from now I'll know from which companies I'll buy again, and from which not ...The number of reinstalls in the next weeks will be massive, so I hope companies like FSD who use machine binding are prepared to meet the huge number of new key requests.Just my 2c (EUR),VOlker :]EDIT - P.S.: Thanks Tom for not locking this thread! I think this discussion is going on in a civilized matter, and shows that a lot of people have issues with these copy protection schemes. This should be mandatory reading for every payware company.

WOW - that was a ton of reading. While I can see and understand both sides of this story, I cannot help but comment on the basics of what each party is trying to do. For one I believe that the real issue here is that FSD want to protect the software that they spend a lot of time and money developing. Secondly a legitimate buyer wants to re-install the software 7 times. So be it.Surely it is FSD's perogative on how they percieve if piracy has taken place or not. I.E if Peter's serial number or code or key has been spotted on warez sites or on Kaza or any public low life site then I would stand right behind FSD and prosecute him until the cows come home. HOWEVER - the concern I have here is that piracy HAS NOT been proved beyond a shodow of doubt! - now if that is the case i.e FSD cannot prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Peter has commited piracy, then for heavens sake - give the man his code and lets get back to simming.I for one love FSD's software and will continue to support them, this to me seems like one case out of thousands of copies soldJust my 2.5c worthIan Gwww.fstv.us

>Your kidding right?Please check your private messages

Guest JonP01

>If anyone feels that such license protection is unjustified,>before you criticize us, or other software developers from>protecting their work, perhaps for credibility sake you should>have a public audit performed, have 30% of you assets stripped>away, and given to everyone on this forum as a gesture?No one here is suggesting that license protection is unjustified. It's the way in which some companies implement that protection that is the cause for concern. Why are you suggesting that those of us who have critised your anti-piracy measures should strip ourselves of 30% of our assests? Shouldn't you be asking the software priates to do that instead? As a paying customer of FSD, I didn't really appreciate that sort of comment.

Guest TimD

This kind of situation is not a problem. As far as FS 2004 goes, we will have a utility available on the day it is released which will actually copy your files over to it, modify and apgrade them, all automtaically. All you will have to do is press a button and go get a beer.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

Guest TimD

The point is, before you demand that I give up 30% of my income, you would have a lot more credibility if you were willing to do the same.As far as the way license protection is implemented, we are all ears. How would you propose this be done, without monitoring usage in some way?http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

Guest TimD

We never accused him of piracy. We simply asked him to explain why his license had been used to unlock 7 computers. He responded evasively at first, and then with abuse. Once he finally explained the usage pattern we did in fact unlock the software for him.. That was yesterday, before he came over here and started this flame thread.I appreciate your point of view, but you need to have all the facts before making such a judgement.http://www.fsd-international.com/team/TD_forum_sig.gif

Guest Steve Small

This is just so untruthful an account ... so lets insert a few facts. We could not find you on the database (not "we accused you of not purchasing the product"). Do you want to tell the readers WHY we couldn't find you? The "why" - the answer - is because you quoted several different email addresses in correspondence which were not registered; you apparently had used a name alias; you stated you lived in the UK although you later gave us an address in New Zealand where you "thought" you may have registered under a different name again. It really is hard to know what to do or say when folks deliberately give us such grossly misleading information in correspondence whilst simultaneously demanding support yet we try and be tolerant, and patient, whilst we try and read minds. Anonymity, and the use of aliases or nom-de-plumes, the use of anonymous or expired email addresses and fake residential addresses may seem all very well and quite clever ... but when you forget what you called yourself and where you said lived when you ordered a product from an address you can't remember - whilst expecting us to ID you on a database you corrupted with inaccurate info when registering - you make everybody's life needlessly complicated. We tend to find the people who do this sort of thing are the same folks who complain the loudest when we ask for clarification as to who they really are because, like, we can't ID them. How can we ?When someone with such a bent for games or clandestine behaviour needs product support - and they can't tell us who they are registered as, they really make life hard for everybody and set the stage for disappointment. And then, because of this sillybuggery they cause, they wonder why life becomes complicated and resort to abuse or stating incomplete accounts (like you did here) that are designed to cause harm. What is so dang alien to so many folks about simply being honest ? If people feel the need to play games with registration data they need to consider what happens (as in the case of this post) when they need support and we cannot identify them. If someone is going to give us bogus data they need to have a bloody good memory as all we have to go on is what they put in the database.This really does get frustrating ... .....Steve SmallCanberra, Australiahttp://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gif