Sign in to follow this  
pete_auau

landing gear lever

Hi strange one that lately when flying long flights during the later part of the flight i noticed that the landing gear handle goes down by itself which lowers the wheels of course be okay if i were landing lol but not at fl300 not that it matters since than i just select it up again and no problems after so was wondering if any one has come accross this at all

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Do you have gear up/down or cycle assigned to anything other than the default G key? If so, maybe you can isolate the cause. Otherwise, I don't have a clue.

Dan Downs KCRP

no i havnt got any other keys assigned since when it happened i wasnt in the room when i got back i noticed the gear down and the handle in the down position only thing of is an supenatural thing happening here lol and i havnt got any cats either lol that may have jumped on the key board have to take notes next time when it happens next time like mite be the same time in etc let u know my findings

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Guest hangar744

Incidents like this happened to my airline and several other 744 operators causing some serious damage to gear doors. Obviously it's not the crew who deliberately puts the gear handle in the DOWN position during cruise. It's the incorrectly adjusted cables for the landing gear control and/or alternate extend cables. Remember, the previous revisions of 744 AOM and checklist used to call for gear handle to OFF position at a certain point into the flight. Years ago that step was deleted from the manuals and checklists. No more GEAR HANDLE...OFF. Simply they leave the handle in the UP position for the entire flight. The only reason to dump pressure (GEAR HANDLE to OFF) from the gear extension and retraction system is purely for alternate extend only, (plus a bunch more for maintenance). Yes...the pilots keep those internal locks of the gear door actuators pressurized for the entire flight. No more ripped off doors, no more surprises in your backyard.Well, clearly you have some more serious problems effecting not only your gear doors but the gears themselves, too. Hope you'll find the source of the false input. For now I recommend you to delete the GEAR HANDLE...OFF item from your checklist. Might solve your problem. Let us know, please.cheers,delcom

It's the incorrectly adjusted cables for the landing gear control and/or alternate extend cables. Remember, the previous revisions of 744 AOM and checklist used to call for gear handle to OFF position at a certain point into the flight. Years ago that step was deleted from the manuals and checklists. No more GEAR HANDLE...OFF. Simply they leave the handle in the UP position for the entire flight. The only reason to dump pressure (GEAR HANDLE to OFF) from the gear extension and retraction system is purely for alternate extend only, (plus a bunch more for maintenance).
So pilot procedure was changed because of bad maintenance... which ultimately means extra work for the maintenance guys. Sounds like they have reaped what they sowed : PI did see pics of KLM cockpits in flight with the gear up, but I can't say all the other airlines followed suit.My knowledge of hydraulic and brake plumbing is a little rusty. Does this mean that pressure is always on the brakes? (as well as the UP lines)When we do a manual Brake Torque Limiter re-zero via the Central Maintenance Computer, we have to ensure that the brakes are depressurised. I'm wondering if this is the case for the BSCU auto-re-zero (2 minutes after takeoff). Perhaps it doesn't matter. There is probably no torque on the brakes in this situation because there is no turning force on the wheels (gravity and tarmac slope usually create a turning force on the ground).Cheers.Q>

Guest hangar744
My knowledge of hydraulic and brake plumbing is a little rusty. Does this mean that pressure is always on the brakes? (as well as the UP lines)
That's right, Q. As long as the retract lines are pressurized, the brakes are on. The story starts in the R/H BLG DOSV...then goes on with both despin actuators in the ALT brake metering valves, and finishes with the help of source selector valve no. 1.The despin system will hold the brakes for the entire flight with the gear handle in the UP position.cheers,delcom

Thanks, Delcom.I double checked with our pilots and our airline doesn't keep the handle in off... so less work for us : )Cheers.Q>

Q and Delcom:Great to see you on the forums. I had a bit of a sabattical from Avsim after the MD11 release. Too many questions about three engines and not 4 engine ops ;) but since the forum split, things are looking far more approachable.Anyway, i was wondering roughly when the Gear Lever to OFF checklist item was stopped. I'm working with some mid 90's BAW SOP's docs at the VA so would like to ensure that they are reasonably current for the guys at BAV that like to keep it real (a surprising amount of the 744 drivers actually). I shall get Steve Bell (G-CIVX) to check with his mate that flies the 744 for BAW, but would i be correct to assume in the meantime that the update would have applied to the Queen Drivers (ooer) at BAW as well as Qantas?CheersPaul

Sorry, guys, I just realised what I wrote (brain fade)I meant to say Qantas does not keep the handle in UP. Paul, I would check with your insiders at BA before changing your SOP.CheersQ

Sorry, guys, I just realised what I wrote (brain fade)I meant to say Qantas does not keep the handle in UP. Paul, I would check with your insiders at BA before changing your SOP.CheersQ
Thanks for the clarification Q. Shall check with our man in London ;)CheersPaul