Sign in to follow this  
psolk

Why so few FS9 purchases lately?

I guess I didn't catch his meaning...Is there anyone here that follows AI point to point all the way to their destinations??? :(
Its not about following the AI until it reaches it destination, its more about how you encounter them on your own flight. To each his own.In any event, its reassuring to know that I am not a completely "uninformed FSX user," at least on this issue. :(

"Never personally saw much use for addon scenery when flying high altitude jets"Different strokes for different folks I guess.As a mainly heavy iron flyer I cannot get enough addon airports! Default airports are bad enough in FS9 but the way they stand out in FSX is even worse! :(

Its not about following the AI until it reaches it destination, its more about how you encounter them on your own flight. To each his own.In any event, its reassuring to know that I am not a completely "uninformed FSX user," at least on this issue. :(
Don't get this wrong I'm not conceding the point that this can't be done in FS9. Aces stated when FSX was released that they did virtually nothing to the AI/ATC engine so I wouldn't take this theory as gospel yet. I've never had reason to dive into this specific issue before so the jury is still out that this can't be done in FS9 as well. I'll concede the point if this proves to be true but like I said there's been more than enough discussion as to what's actually been improved upon in FSX outside of graphics over FS9 and the AI/ATC engine wasn't one of them. If this is true and a disability is within FS9 in this area I'll be happy to see something was slightly changed in FSX's AI/ATC over FS9. If UT2 was written to do what your describing here I'm sure it could be written to do the same in FS9, add-on developers discover new things all the time. I know for a fact I can program my own route within FS9 to follow the exact routes of real flights so something is suspicious here... This may be advancement in general just like Airsimmer's A320 offers some first over other FS9 add-ons of the past. One thing that has been discussed is FS9 overall can handle more AI traffic at one given time than FSX so maybe there's a tradeoff somewhere... FSX can't display as much AI as FS9 no matter what the setting. Again how true this is I don't know as I haven't installed FSX in quite some time...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Aces stated when FSX was released that they did virtually nothing to the AI/ATC engine so I wouldn't take this theory as gospel yet. I've never had reason to dive into this specific issue before so the jury is still out that this can't be done in FS9 as well. I'll concede the point if this proves to be true but like I said there's been more than enough discussion as to what's actually been improved upon in FSX outside of graphics over FS9 and the AI/ATC engine wasn't one of them.
ACES introduced SimConnect in FSX, which is where a lot of this type of functionality came from. See, for example, this post from one developer: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...t&p=1629997 ("Using Simconnect it's possible to create AI traffic that behaves like proper AI traffic, that flies using real world routes and flight planes, which wasn't possible in FS9. "). I think the specific SimConnect API call he is referring to is SimConnect_AICreateEnrouteATCAircraft, which allows you to assign a .pln file to an AI aircraft, and I believe UT2 uses this method. You can google it if you are so inclined to learn about that and the other SimConnect functionality.