Sign in to follow this  
Guest crashing_pilot

Visability from cockpit

just woundering what you guys do when you are flying to maximize visability through cockpit. (hit "w", use virual cockpit, make panel smaller...etc...) because its very hard to fly visually with the huge panels

Guest tgabriel

I use the virtual panel and the hat button on my yoke to swivel my little pea head around so I can see the runway or the stars. then at the proper time, I go back to panel view to see what the gauges are doing. Switch back and forth does it for me. Love that hat button.

Guest freequest

i do the same i use virtual cockpit and i know all the keys i need on the keyboard...i used to hate the virtual cockpit but now with high detail cockpits its just more fun..

Guest RSmith

I rarely, if ever, use VC. I'm always adjusting seat height (shift-backspace) for better vis., especially on approach. When all set for cruise, I hit "W" twice, and just enjoy the eye candy. Sometimes I'll go over to spot view for the same enroute scenery. Falcon 50's panel / vis. / zoom presets are the best aircraft for me !RonKORL

General concensus is that fs2k2 default 2d zoom 1.0 is unrealistic - most of us edit the [views] section of panel.cfg of each plane to a zoom in the region of 0.7 and a forward direction of 1 - 3. this really has helped me a lot with the big panels (sorry I don't have the exact syntax right now, but I or someone else can get it if you need more details)- also I usually ensure that the lower edge of the 2d window is not stretched way below the panel glareshield - this also robs you of visibility.Here's a good link for various tips including views http://www.fsgateway.com/tips.aspRegards,Mark

Regards,

Mark

Guest CYOW_pilot

I have to agree with Mark. I have never had a problem seeing over the nose well enough to approach and land with any of the heavy (and not so heavy) metal aircraft. I use a zoom of 0.75 and a view forward direction of 3 or less (varies a bit from aircraft to aircraft).This assumes that your attitude is somewhere between 0 and 5deg nose-upon the approach and probably 5 to 7 deg nose up for the touchdown(airbus products seem to require attitudes at the higher end of this scale and older boeing products at the lower end).Kevin in CYOWKevin in CYOW

Guest SlimDady

When im doing vfr.. I tend to flip between the virtual cockpit and the standard 2d one.In the vc i zoom back to make it feel a little more real.. .5 i think it isWhen i fly ifr I do it all in the 2d, for quick access to autopilot features, and radio

Guest Grey_Wolf

I use the VC and the new active camera. the advantage is that you can use key combinations for active camera to remember and return to views you set. Part of my virtual start up procedures now include making sure I have a good views set for take off/landing, VFR and IFR.I also have the luxury of having a spare axi that I use to pan left and right in the vc.I dont use the 2D panel any more, about the only thing I dont have a key command for is the GPS

Guest crashing_pilot

love my hat switch...works for me ;-)