Sign in to follow this  
Guest Carvelle5000

PMDG MD-11 Automatic Fuel Loading

Guest Carvelle5000

Hi,I've been flying the MD-11 so far simply guessing the required fuel loads and seeing how much I'd have left at the destination. I was checking out the refueling page of the MCDU when I noticed this 'AUTO' option was available. So my question is: if I select this after I have entered my route, alternate etc., will it calculate and load how much fuel I'll need automatically? Sounds like a really neat feature. Thanks,Carvelle5000

No, the AUTO function just lets the virtual refuelers distribute the fuel load in the correct sequence.I use FSBUILD to figure out fuel load, but i hear you can let the FMS give you a rough estimation by entering any fuel quantity in the block fuel line after you've entered all the perf data.

Guest Carvelle5000

Hi,Thanks for the reply. Under FSBuild, do you enter all the takeoff data and fuel information, generate the route and use the FREM column for taking the required fuel? Thanks,Carvelle5000

To each their own preference.I only use FSBuild to provide both rte and pln files for the weather application; the MD-11 FMS fuel calculations are verry good if you have decent wind forecasts. I consider it better than a rough estimate.

Dan Downs KCRP

VROUTE in the premium version also has a fairly good fuel loading estimation for the route and weather. I generally get to my destination with around 4-5 tonnes in each of the main tanks. I always double check that I have around 45 minutes' worth of final reserve, and adjust the Vroute load accordingly. If I wish to put in a flight route to my alternate (as opposed to direct), then I need to add obviously. It is a little hit and miss, but my estimates are getting more accurate with experience and practice...I can only agree with Dan. If you have a good estimate for the en route weather, the FMS is actually a good estimator of the fuel load, as long as you plan for the required minmum loads...Andrew