Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stamatis

FS2004 question: AI Departing and Approaching Behavior

Guest GabrielR

Hi, Does the AI traffic perform DP and STARs?I know the plan is still direct circle style for every flight, but how is the approach done this time around?Thanks

Nope, that didn't make it in this time around. There have been some improvements to AI, but nothing as significant as adding DPs and STARs.Matt FoxFS2004 Beta Tester

Guest GabrielR

well, Thanks, I think it is ok anyway... Sure the rest of the features are impressing enough!

Well if Microsoft release the SDK for ATC, anything is possible, we may see SIDs and STARS for AI traffic.

I7-10700F RTX 3070 32 Gig Ram

Guest Joshieca

>Well if Microsoft release the SDK for ATC, anything is>possible, we may see SIDs and STARS for AI traffic.>I doubt that....I would be happy if/when (FS2006) MS's AI traffic would just follow published approach and departures correctly and when IFR, follow high/low alt. jetways.

Guest Pardue802

Is this of interest to anyone?"As it happens, it isn't actually possible to enter flight plans into the Garmins - this has to be done via FS2004's own flight planner, which will then load the plan into the GPS. The units will, however, let you sequence the legs in a flight plan, which is handy if you transition using ATC vectors and then need to fly a DME arc as part of a published procedure; and since they have a huge database of SIDs and STARs, they can be used to fly into airports just about anywhere in the world."That's from the navigation preview over at flightsim.com. I'm a low and slow VFRer myself, but I knew I heard mention of STARs being included.Kenneth

Guest Stamatis

Kenneth,The info you quote relates to the flight plan that you will be flying, not the routes and flight plans of the AI aircraft, which is what the question is about :-)Stamatis

Guest Pardue802

I see... I was thinking about that after I posted, but thought I'd contribute in case there was something to be contributed.Best,Kenneth

Guest Joshieca

Thats one of the troubles I see also...the new GPS has all of the correct departure and approach vectors from the real world, but if you file an IFR flight plan and follow the ATC controllers, you are vectored to something other than what the "published" departure and approach vectors are.[div align=center][link:www.jetdoc.com/STO/]Visit The Bookstore & Gift Shoppe][/b

Guest GabrielR

mmmm well....... I dont think this is much a problem, (Not real Pilot writting here),I think that if you want to fly a procedure (departing and Arriving) in real life, ATC is not going to give you vectors all along the way... am I right? As a PIC I should have the Chart and/or know the procedure... If I included a procedure in my fligth plan and want to fly it, I suppose I request it from ATC, thy approve it, or not and then I fly the procedure... ATC is just following me in their radars and if something comes up (traffic avoidance, etc) then they give me vectors...If I cant or dont want to fly a procedure, then ATC just give me vectors in and out the airport...Please correct me if I'm wrong here...

Guest Stamatis

Please correct me if I'm wrong here...It is very unlikely that ATC will let you fly a STAR just because you included it in your flight plan and your flight plan was cleared. If flying a STAR means that you interfere with the vectored flow of arriving aircraft, you can forget about sticking to it :-)Maybe in a very quiet airport, if you make a special requst that you do not wish to reduce your flight time and your fuel burn expense but instead insist on flying a STAR as published they will let you do it, who knows...In the real world, you may be cleared for a STAR initially, then you start flying it, but when you get to within say 40-50 nm of the destination airport, 99% of the times Approach Radar will start vectoring you to intercept the approach in use.And as this vectoring usually offers a shorter routing to the approach intercept, you should be very glad about it :-)On the othet hand, if the destination airport does not offer Approach Radar services, then your chances of flying a STAR as published are greatly enhanced.Stamatis