Sign in to follow this  
billhuntsman

Will I need to reinstall FSX & Addons

Hi,A few months ago purchased an ASUS computer from Best Buy that has Vista 64 installed. The computer came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it became available. I have FSX on its own drive (D) and the operating system and most add ons on drive C. I have a lot of add ons including FSGenesis, REX, UTX and GEX (USA & Europe) and My Traffic 5.2b so it would be a pain to reinstall all these. My question is -- When I do upgrade to Windows 7 will I need to reinstall FSX and all the add ons? Thanks.Bill

Guest firehawk44
Hi,A few months ago purchased an ASUS computer from Best Buy that has Vista 64 installed. The computer came with a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it became available. I have FSX on its own drive (D) and the operating system and most add ons on drive C. I have a lot of add ons including FSGenesis, REX, UTX and GEX (USA & Europe) and My Traffic 5.2b so it would be a pain to reinstall all these. My question is -- When I do upgrade to Windows 7 will I need to reinstall FSX and all the add ons? Thanks.Bill
No. But a defrag afterwards would be in order.Best regards,Jim

Thanks, Jim.Bill
If you do a straight upgrade, overwriting Vista w/Win7, then everything should work. However, if you decide (for whatever reason) to set up Win7 on a separate drive to have dual boot capability, then you would have to reinstall everything under Win7 for Win7 to see it. (I did this, upgrading from WinXP 32 to Win7-64...different situation than yours, though).Jim

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If you do a straight upgrade, overwriting Vista w/Win7, then everything should work. However, if you decide (for whatever reason) to set up Win7 on a separate drive to have dual boot capability, then you would have to reinstall everything under Win7 for Win7 to see it. (I did this, upgrading from WinXP 32 to Win7-64...different situation than yours, though).Jim
First off - Bill I hope you don't mind if I ask Jim a question on your thread.Jim - I have just also bought a new computer which will have Windows 7 installed. My existing computer is XP 32. I intend to network these two and then have FS9 running on the new Windows 7 machine. If I understand your answer I will have to manually reinstall FS9 and all my addons - i.e. there is no easy transfer from networked machines like drag and drop?William

First off - Bill I hope you don't mind if I ask Jim a question on your thread.Jim - I have just also bought a new computer which will have Windows 7 installed. My existing computer is XP 32. I intend to network these two and then have FS9 running on the new Windows 7 machine. If I understand your answer I will have to manually reinstall FS9 and all my addons - i.e. there is no easy transfer from networked machines like drag and drop?William
Hi William,You can do the drag and drop for aircraft textures/copying parts of aircraft.cfg files/etc., but AFTER you've reinstalled those addons in Win7. You'll have to reinstall them so Win7's registry picks up their entries, since you want to run FS from your Win7 machine. Since you already have a full installation of FS, you'll save a lot of time after your initial reinstalls of your addons by doing the copy/paste deal....doing it that way literally saved me several days of work!Good luck!Jim

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi William,You can do the drag and drop for aircraft textures/copying parts of aircraft.cfg files/etc., but AFTER you've reinstalled those addons in Win7. You'll have to reinstall them so Win7's registry picks up their entries, since you want to run FS from your Win7 machine. Since you already have a full installation of FS, you'll save a lot of time after your initial reinstalls of your addons by doing the copy/paste deal....doing it that way literally saved me several days of work!Good luck!Jim
JimThank you for your reply. I am waiting for "Windows 7 For Dummies" so you can see where I am in PC knowledge. Now from what you are saying can I assume that I reinstall say PMDG 737-800 from CD - then can I select and copy over to the Windows 7 machine the panel.cfg of this plane which I have altered in my XP computer.Can I also copy over my FSUIPC.ini settings after I have reinstalled FSUIPC?William

Guest firehawk44
JimThank you for your reply. I am waiting for "Windows 7 For Dummies" so you can see where I am in PC knowledge. Now from what you are saying can I assume that I reinstall say PMDG 737-800 from CD - then can I select and copy over to the Windows 7 machine the panel.cfg of this plane which I have altered in my XP computer.Can I also copy over my FSUIPC.ini settings after I have reinstalled FSUIPC?William
I'm not the "Jim" you're asking the questions but the answer is YES to both.Best regards,Jim

I'm not the "Jim" you're asking the questions but the answer is YES to both.Best regards,Jim
Jim - thank you. I realise that you are a different "Jim" and I really am "Bill" but I signed throughout as "William" to avoid confusion with the original poster "Bill" - so we actually had 2*Jims and 2*Bills on this thread. - phew!! To both of you thank you for your help. I am sure I will be back for more. My new Windows 7 computer is due within the next 24 hours.William (Bill 2)