Sign in to follow this  
Guest Charlie47

FS9 in Windows 7

Guest Charlie47

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7. I have loaded the FS9 in the XP mode ,but have not played with it too much . I cannot get it to even open ,let alone fly.Any suggestions would be very welcome. I have loaded FS Realtime and fsuipc both licensed versions. The Fs Realtime will run ok ,but will not boot up Fs9.Also I would prefer to run this flight simulator on a seperate external H/drive ,which has already been formatted.Hope some one can help me with this issue. BTW I have a near new computer and is very fast.Charlie.

I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'm in the same boat as you.I built a new PC with Windows 7 64-bit yesterday and just finished installing FS9 onto a second drive (away from the OS drive). FS9 started up just fine in vanilla mode, but without FSUIPC and other addons. As I type I'm copying the addons from a backup drive (files are from my old PC) to my new PC and into the folder where FS9 resides. Once I'm done copying 40GB+ plus of files, I'll try and fire it up again. I'm sure I'll run into problems, but I'll have to take the time to remedy them.My C drive contains Windows 7 while my D drive, which is a Raptor drive, will contain only FS9 and later FSX.

Guest Charlie47
I don't know how much help I'll be, but I'm in the same boat as you.I built a new PC with Windows 7 64-bit yesterday and just finished installing FS9 onto a second drive (away from the OS drive). FS9 started up just fine in vanilla mode, but without FSUIPC and other addons. As I type I'm copying the addons from a backup drive (files are from my old PC) to my new PC and into the folder where FS9 resides. Once I'm done copying 40GB+ plus of files, I'll try and fire it up again. I'm sure I'll run into problems, but I'll have to take the time to remedy them.My C drive contains Windows 7 while my D drive, which is a Raptor drive, will contain only FS9 and later FSX.

Guest Charlie47

Thank you for your input. Sounds like we are going to have some fun together ,trying to get this up and running. I'm not feeling 100% at the moment ,so I don't think I will get much done today.I am still hoping tp run it on a seperate drive ,even though I have pleny of room on the main computer. I have 2 500gb Hard drives. I am running a 285 gtx graphics card ,and am quite happy with it ,plus a 3.0 ghz quad core cpu. So it has plenty of grunt ,with 6 gb memory.I will keep you posted how I get on with this little project.Charlie

In shortcut compatibility Tab....Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (service pack 3)Tick disable desktop composition.tick run as administrator.Doing this FS9 runs perfectly in Windows 7 32bit

Guys I am useless with computers but I am just today also installing FS9 on a new computer (i5 withn an nvidiaGTX260 graphics card). Now I did nothing fancy (cause I don't know how to) and just put the FS9 disks into the drive and installed. I followed this with Ultimate Terrain (Europe) Ground Environment and Flight Environment - plugged in a Logitech Joystick and went flying - absolutely awesome - as smooth as silk (locked at 20fps) high res.I am not convinced that Ultimate Terrain has loaded as it has a (X86) in the drive path - haven't a clue what that means. But there is an opportunity to try a different install - will try that soon.I have absolutely loads more to copy but haven't got my old computer networked to this yet and even then don't know how much stuff I can simply copy over.But the real message here is if I can get this to run easily then anybody can.Bill

Guys I am useless with computers but I am just today also installing FS9 on a new computer (i5 withn an nvidiaGTX260 graphics card). Now I did nothing fancy (cause I don't know how to) and just put the FS9 disks into the drive and installed. I followed this with Ultimate Terrain (Europe) Ground Environment and Flight Environment - plugged in a Logitech Joystick and went flying - absolutely awesome - as smooth as silk (locked at 20fps) high res.I am not convinced that Ultimate Terrain has loaded as it has a (X86) in the drive path - haven't a clue what that means. But there is an opportunity to try a different install - will try that soon.I have absolutely loads more to copy but haven't got my old computer networked to this yet and even then don't know how much stuff I can simply copy over.But the real message here is if I can get this to run easily then anybody can.Bill
Hello BillEvery 32bit application that you install will go into \Program Files (x86)All 64 bit programs go into \Program Files\

Hello BillEvery 32bit application that you install will go into \Program Files (x86)All 64 bit programs go into \Program Files\
Will they run OK from there then?Everything else seems to have gone to Program Files - I think! Need to go back and check.Bill

Will they run OK from there then?Everything else seems to have gone to Program Files - I think! Need to go back and check.Bill
HelloThey have to be there, under windows 7 64 and XP 64, this is where 32 bit programs need to go.search Google for "windows 7 64 and 32bit programs, Read up on how 64 bit windows and 32bit programs running under emulation.

Guest Charlie47

Sorry for not getting back any earlier. I have run out of time ,and there's only 24 hours in a day. I have only just now read some of your answers ,and I am going to start again ,and see what happens.My Windows 7 is 64 bit ,so will have to remember this when looking for stuff I need to download such as Net Framework ,etc. I will keep you guys posted how things pan out . I'm not sure when I will have the time to do this ,but will make a start before bedtime tonight..Have a great weekend.Charlie