Sign in to follow this  
Holclo

New Comp and Ext Drive Goes Poof

Just got my new computer running Windows 7 literally 15 minutes old.. Do not have any speakers attached so tried to listen to sample music through headphones and got no sound. I have a few movies saved on my External HDD so I pulgged the USB lead from my external drive into a front USB socket and poof! There goes my extermal Drive - noise and a blue flash. Computer still seems to be ok.(The Ext Drive had been plugged in and was working a few minutes earlier!) Any ideas what could have caused this before I go back to the guys who made my computer. They literally could tell me anything.William

Whoever built your PC mixed up the HD Audio and USB connections. That's not something a professional does. I'd take that system back, demand a full refund, and ask that they replace your now completely dead external hard drive.

Whoever built your PC mixed up the HD Audio and USB connections. That's not something a professional does. I'd take that system back, demand a full refund, and ask that they replace your now completely dead external hard drive.
Thank you for that reply. It would appear that you are in no doubt what has happened. So I can be quite confident in my assertions tomorrow when I return the computer. But how did it work briefly the first time?William

Now that I am thinking a little more I know I used the 2 front USB ports and the headphone socket. The USB ports were being used for a Logitech cordless keyboard and mouse detector and the Ext Drive. I then unplugged both (to attach to my other computer) and when I reconnected them to my new computer their inputs may have been switched.It still bugs me that they both did work at first. It was just at the first contact on trying to plug the USB in the second time that the problem occured. Reminded me of a static electricity discharge.William

If the ports worked at first and then stopped working that is a different story, and does imply an electrical issue caused by improper device connection/disconnection.

If the ports worked at first and then stopped working that is a different story, and does imply an electrical issue caused by improper device connection/disconnection.
Didn't think that was possible with USB. The headphone socket never worked. Both USB worked briefly,didn't stop working, but caused a problem the next time a connection was being made. The usb plug merely "touched" the female part (without insertion) when the problem occured. I will bring it back tomorrow and see if an explanation is forthcoming.William

Guest chris493

You didn't have a power surge by any chance? Or your house didn't get struck by lightning at that point by any chance?

You didn't have a power surge by any chance? Or your house didn't get struck by lightning at that point by any chance?
Certainly no lightening and not sure about powersurge but my extension gang is surge protected.This morning I brought comp back to the guys (small business) that built it. They gave it a thorough check and said everything was fine (including sound). The ext HDD itself was undamaged although I need a replacement casing which they are fitting for me. It might have been an awful coincidence. So just about to power up again. Will let you know what happens.WilliamPS -Have just noticed that the user reviews of the Western Digital Ext HDD I am using are not very favourable.

Guest chris493

Hope it goes well for you mate! Also the hd's may have been slightly damaged causing it to do that, ie dropping, sitting in bag with stuff ontop etc.

Hope it goes well for you mate! Also the hd's may have been slightly damaged causing it to do that, ie dropping, sitting in bag with stuff ontop etc.
Thanks ChrisWell still not happy. This computer is going back tomorrow again. I start it up, plug in the headphones in the front jack a get a headphone connected message and then within 1 second get a "headphone disconnected" message. Wggling the headphone jack establishes the connection again. Added to this there are two little blue LED's visible on the front of the computer case. One of these LED's is constantly flickering even when watching the start up screen. Now I have watched flickering LED's during disk activity on my other computers but nothing like this. This is only with Windows 7 installed - I have not added even a single document never mind a programme.William

Guest chris493

Something is definitely dodgy!! Just a thought, your sound drivers are definitely compatible with win 7??

Something is definitely dodgy!! Just a thought, your sound drivers are definitely compatible with win 7??
Totally embarassed I am. Just found out that I had not inserted the headphone jack fully!!(The mind boggles!!) . It needed one final little push to engage completely. Guess I was being ultra careful with this (to me) expensive computer. All seems well now - no more disconnects and I have had them in and out many times. Also have given the two front USB ports a good workout by constantly plugging and unplugging keyboards. (Maybe I have a funny mind but this post makes me smile as I type it). Now reinstalling FS9 and Add Ons -gee this is going to be a long process. Thanks for your continued help.William

I did this when I built my 2nd PC. It was bad lol, there was a blue spark between the front usb port and my external hard drive. It fried the exterior components of my hdd so I ripped open the enclosure and took out the hdd, plugged it into my mobo via sata cable and that's where it resides today LOLThose dam single pronged cables are a pain that go on the mobo.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I did this when I built my 2nd PC. It was bad lol, there was a blue spark between the front usb port and my external hard drive. It fried the exterior components of my hdd so I ripped open the enclosure and took out the hdd, plugged it into my mobo via sata cable and that's where it resides today LOLThose dam single pronged cables are a pain that go on the mobo.
Your description is exactly what I experienced. My Ext HDD is now in a new caddie with a new power supply and is working fine. They charged me