Sign in to follow this  
Ourgas2

Can not receive ATIS broadcast at 66 nm from destination.

Hi,Trying to get ATIS at 66 nm before destination airport.As per advanced tutorial page 33, I set the ATIS frequency into VHF2 of COM2, switch it on the activate field but where is the volume control panel? Is it the panel right below the frequencies?I press this also to VHF2, white light appears on it, but still can not receive ATIS from 66 nm distance. I receive ATIS only when reaching about 44 nm from airport.Am I doing something wrong?Thanks,Christos

Hi,Trying to get ATIS at 66 nm before destination airport.As per advanced tutorial page 33, I set the ATIS frequency into VHF2 of COM2, switch it on the activate field but where is the volume control panel? Is it the panel right below the frequencies?I press this also to VHF2, white light appears on it, but still can not receive ATIS from 66 nm distance. I receive ATIS only when reaching about 44 nm from airport.Am I doing something wrong?Thanks,Christos
Hi Christos, The VHF1 and VHF2 are located on the bottom of the engine popup rather than on the comm one. Make your changes to VHF2 (add the freq), vhf2.jpgthen open up your comm panel, or better yet by right clicking "SD" will show the Radio stack. You have many different audio selectors here you can listen to or monitor, such as ident, markers, vhf2 etc... Mouse over and the cursor will turn to a pointing finger. Click the knob to bring it up, it will also set it to mic so just change that back to VHF1. You can also adjust individual volumes as seen here.vhf.jpg

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Thanks Dan,At some airports though I can not receive the ATIS broadcast at 66 nm range. I am only receiveing it getting closer at about 53 or even 45 nm. Is this normal?Is there a way to receive this broadcast even earlier than 66 nm? Maybe something like a tweak?Christos.

Hey Christos, I haven't found a way to do this with any normal means, or even using editors like ADE (Airport Design Editor). You can create ATIS freqs but not adjust the range. SKYTALKTEAM makes an addon called "REAL ATIS" for both "FS9" and "FSX". I never used it but looks like it is a possible answer. The ATIS in FS is very unrealistic and I usually just leave it dialed into comm2 and don't pay attention until I hear it. In FS (and probably the real world), ATIS freqs overlap, so if I do a flight from KBOS - KORD with atis tuned in from the start I will pick up others on the same freq along the way. If your wanting to know this so you can program your star for arrival then you can load the flight first at that airport with the same weather (real world weather example) prior to starting. That is a method I use to do, but now I just go off of weatherchannel.com and make my best guess and make any needed changes one I hear from tower (which is about 31nm). You could also use programs like PFE or Radar contact but unfortunately the FS Atis isn't the greatest.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

ATIS is one more item where MSFS assumes you are flying a C172 at 7500.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest MikeKear

This doesnt affect the tutorial flight, because that should be done exactly as the tutorial reads, but when you are flying on line thought VATSIM, you normally use the weather provided by VATSIM. The ATIS can be read almost from the departure point often. And you can get weather reports for destinations (or any other airport if it comes to that) at any point, so you can at least figure out what runway you're likely to be given, and therefore what STAR you're going to need.So if you're planning on flying your MD-11 online with VATSIM you needn't worry about whether or not you can pick up the automatic ATIS at 66nm