Sign in to follow this  
Sonar5

Question on Flightsim.com....

This question does not regard AVSIM, but might be related to simming sites in the internet in general. Well, I guess my question is: Does Flightsim.com pays for freeware uploads into their system? They certainly charge for access to their database, (free-limited access is an impossibility), but do the freeware developers get a share of the pie? I've seen they have a lot of advertisement, so it is not like they are providing the service for free, it would seem to me. Are the advertisements not enough? Just wondering, out of the blue :)M.A.X.

Guest georgi55

This is being a HUGE contoversy over there because many people think fs.com "calims" that access is free and in that way they get stuff uploaded for paying customers.I wont say what I think about it but kind a make me wonder how AVSIM can keep it free(and unlimited) but fs.com can't.I wouldn't imagine all AVSIM operating stuff are rich and they dont care how much bandwidth they pay.(and, Im aware of of the dificulty and the donations on AVSIM)Me thikns AVSIM rocks both in forum and files but that's my personal opinion.

fs.com does not pay anyone anything. They DO charge for access, and keep a number of free logins for people who don't want to pay for freeware. How many free logins there are I don't know, but given the trouble I and many others have getting in it is getting less and less.Those free logins seem a joke by now, meant to keep the appearance of not being a paysite (as most freeware authors state specifically that paysites cannot host their stuff...).Advertising at this time does not bring a lot of income to websites. 2 years ago you could get $0.10 for each banner shown, not you're lucky if you get $0.01 for each time someone clicks on a banner. With a click-through rate of at most 0.01 for most banners that's a drop in advertising income of about 99.99% unless you increase the number of bannerads. Popups give more income, but those tend to drive visitors away because they are so incredibly annoying.Avsim gets some donations (don't ask me how much), and has income through the online store (again, I don't know how much), but I do think that most of the running cost does indeed come out of the pockets of the staff.

Guest drobson

Why don't you contact Nels directly and ask him? There has been much said about the access, and the uploading of files, and Nels has responded to both questions. Do a search of the flightsim network conferences forums using "Nels" as the search criteria, and it should pop right up. Also, his e-mail address is readily available there, as well.Darrell

It's free for me.I've never had login problems other than hitting F5 10 times at the very most.As for downloading files, their servers are very, very busy so downloads take a little longer than they do here.If you can't get through over there, then you haven't read the instructions or have failed to understand & follow them properly.The Avsim site has the one click approach for the latest uploads.It's just an easier, happier way to do things. It's logical! It rocks.

Guest drobson

I'm assuming your response is directed towards the orginator of this post? I'm a subscriber at fs.com, but prior to joining up, I had no problems logging in either.Darrell

Darrell, to be fair, I also think you need to also state that you are a "staffer", "moderator" or whatever over there. Correct?

Guest drobson

Yes, Tom, I am a moderator there, (a volunteer, with no benefit other than being cussed out by some because I've removed or locked their post), but I really don't see where that makes a difference. I enjoy both Avsim and FS.com, and visit both many times a day. I guess I don't understand the need to post the question here to begin with. When I'm looking for information, I try to directly to the source, and not take a circular route. I was merely trying to direct the question to the answer, and also provide a little information.The post by Ihor seems to indicate that I was having a problem, which I was not. That's why I assumed that his post was directed at someone else. Nothing more, nothing less.Darrell

Darrel, The reason why I posted it here was because I used to be able to log in before, but now it is almost impossible. I have followed the same procedure, many a times, checked on my settings on my browser, but still, the same, I can't log in. If I am doing something wrong I am not sure. I thought that maybe FlightSim.com was going through a transition phase where they would become completely a pay-site, but I wondered how that would work with freeware developers. M.A.X.

Guest drobson

I understand. However, there is no problem logging into the FlightSim Network Conferences forums,(hosted and run by Nels, the owner of flightsim.com), and posing your question there. You will most likely get an answer quicker from there, rather than the Avsim forums. The FS Network forums are the same as these forums used to be, so I'm sure you are familiar with the way they work. In fact, once you've logged into either the Avsim or FSNetwork forums, there is no need to log out.I don't know if you are a member of the FSNetwork forums or not, but I'd like to extend this invitation to join. I'm not trying to steer users from this forum, as I believe that both places offer a lot of advice and help. After all, the more resources that we have available to us can only serve to make our hobby more enjoyable.Darrell

Sorry! :-)I wasn't sure whether we had the beginning of another "I can't login etc. etc." type of thread. Sorry for the wrong positioning of my reply, I'll try to be a bit more careful in the future.It was more directed at M.A.X. and the reply that followed that.

Guest georgi55

MikeAlphaXray, just to warn you if you join fs.com, you are not allowed to ask stupid questions(which are decided by few "I'm moderator :-sae" people, not real moderators) and you will be bashed in a minute.In that case, ignore bashing, don't even reply, and wait for someone with less total posts to response to your question:)Moderators do good job over there so you might not notice such posts that much, but it happnes.