Sign in to follow this  
moatazlashine

High altitude Take Off

Guest RomanS
When I tried it with my Centurion freighter,even using a high FLEX,I could barely get it to clear the mountain range right at the end of the runway.Hope this helps.
Depart via RWY28 and SIBUS4 (for SEQU) - it is a more forgiving way.RWY10 departures demand a climb gradient of 3.6% to 5.9% - only MUCH lighter aircraft can sustain this at such elevations.

According to a real GE-MD11 POH from sep. 2007, Flex range is from -30 to +50 Celsius.Max flex temp. (50) equals climb thrust, because flex t/o thrust may never be less then climb thrust (it wouldn't make any sense)so take-off with flex 50 means the engines spool up to maximum climb thrust and stay in limits for the high altitude.This particular company fly's on Quito with the 11, but has a max. certified pressure altitude for takeoff of 10000ft.I'm not sure, but it probably has something to do with the passenger oxigen masks. If this is true, it also makes sense Martinair can fly to higher airports, probably in cargo config.Cheers!

vpa118.png

Rico van Dijk

This thing confuses me, how does Lufthansa Cargo takes back off from Quito if the MD-11F is not certified for it? Do they leave it light and refuel in Sao Paulo or something?

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

This thing confuses me, how does Lufthansa Cargo takes back off from Quito if the MD-11F is not certified for it? Do they leave it light and refuel in Sao Paulo or something?
The MD11 is certified, just weight limited out of Quito like any other heavy aircraft. If you have TOPCAT you can run the figures yourself. Obviously it all depends on the temp and pressure at the field on the day.I've flown out of Quito many times using the MD11 & 744 I have never been able to do it MTOW and almost always at TOGA thrust. It's good fun calculating the MATOW from airports like Quito.

Rob Prest

Confirm it, the MD11 is certified. It's only weight limited like a short runway. The theory behind is the same. At higher altitude you need more runway, that's the same situation at sea level with a short runway. To be able to TO you need to limit weights.Cheers,

This topic started really to become so helpful technically. how do i calculate the MTOW on a high altitude runway or sea level short runway?