Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joe L

Saratoga Power ?

I often fly out of my home field. KPRC, which is at roughly 5000'. I am quite used to flying GA in and out of higher fields, and learned to fly (RW) out of KSAF. It seems to me the the Saratoga is very underpowered at altitude. At take off after cleaning everything up I only get a 500fpm climb at best rate speed (91 kts IAS). This is at 3200#, and an OAT of 50F, and 5000'. During Landing if I have full flaps and gear the AC can not maintain level flight even at full power, making a go around dangerous. I have tried leaning to peak and 50 deg either side, as well as leaning to max power in the fuel flow half of the MP gauge. No significant changes. I also re-checked my throttle calibration, and it is fine. Just purchased from Aerosoft download Shop, and I have applied both patches as well.I fly the Mooney (Carenado) a lot as well, but the power vs. altitude difference is no where near as significant.Anyone else seeing this at all?Thoughts or suggestions appreciated.Joe

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Are you sure you are adjusting the mixture properly?I don't have any performance problems with the Saratoga or my Turbo Saratoga mod.

I am leaning and have tried various settings as mentioned above. I do not find any specs indicating specific settings so I have tried peak EGT and both 50 deg lean and rich. Basically same results.At 5,000 elevation, full power take off I am getting 25" of MP. I do see the EGT swings wildly some times, seeming to get very high then drop to more "normal" levels even under constant settings.Joe