Sign in to follow this  
lagraf05

J41 TOCWS and VS Mode

Hello to AllHave brought the J41 and can think of nothing but praise, did the tutorial flight last night, however I have a couple of questions. Firstly is the TOCWS, even though I managed to plane fully configured for take off I think (honestly) it was by accident. The only things I can think of are 1) Condition Levers to flight mode, 2) Flaps to 9 degrees, 3) Parking Brake off (obviously), 4) Spoilers armed, 5) APR off (depends on circumstances), 6) Take Off/Go Around switch on power levers. The second question I have is about the VS Mode with the autopilot. I can engage it but have no idea how to change the VS value that appears in cyan in the bottom right hand corner of the PFD. On a similar note how does the IAS mode work on the autopilot? Everything else works fine, truly one of the best aircraft for FSX that I have bought.Thank You Raffaele

From page 77 in the PMDG J41 Tutorial: "At 170 knots (on the take-off climb), press the IAS button on the flight director. This will command the flight director to give you pitch commands to maintain 170 knots...". This is in lieu of using VS mode to climb or descend -- IAS mode prioritizes airspeed and VS mode is all about the rate of ascent or descent. See also pages 79-81 of the Tutorial for more information on these modes.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

I use VS mode for initial climb and acceleration to 170, the VS value is changed with the same thumbwheel on the AP panel that changes pitch or speed. I set 1200 unless maxed and high where I will use 1000. Engage VS mode above 400 AGL, climb at 1200 (or 1000) until accelerated to 170 then press IAS. Makes for a smooth climbout. Don't forget to set the capture for the cruise altitude.

Dan Downs KCRP

Alright, you've been a big help so thanks to the both of you. Very impressed at the prompt replies, to be honest thought I'd be waiting yonks to hear a reply. Raffaele