Sign in to follow this  
Snaker1

Swamp/marsh textures

I would like to modify the swamp/marsh textures to make them look more snow covered for winter flying in the northern USA. I have tried modifiying the textures with those names but this made no difference as they still looked as though they had open water (green/blue color) in those areas. Am I modifying the wrong textures ? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

The attached image should give you that information:Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to attach zip files to this forum. If you want the entire spreadsheet, just provide an address.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis:If this FSX to FS9 comparative reference table is not already in your other excellent Tutorials in the file library, would it be possible to make it available in some form as a download there, at FS Developer, or at SceneryDesign.Org tutorial area ?Many thanks again for your kind assistance here over the years, and for your very informative and easy to understand graphics that accompany your explanations of the FS scenery design process. :( Regards,GaryGB

The attached image should give you that information:Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to attach zip files to this forum. If you want the entire spreadsheet, just provide an address.Best regards.Luis
Thank you for the information Luis. This gives me a starting point to look at. If I need more information I will contact you.

Hello Gary, The file contains spreadsheets about land class to texture equivalents, airport mask textures, and gradient mask textures. I compiled it over a year ago and have been meaning to put it out along with a tutorial on land class design (and another on advanced techniques on land class design.) But, lack of time has prevented me from moving forward on this. Perhaps I shall be able to fit it in soon. If you want it, just let me know. And then, you and I have to talk about putting together a guide to FS X scenery design for this forum, as it is long overdue.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luis:I certainly understand the challenges of having one's available "free time" committed for long periods ! :( Regarding the above spreadsheet and any associated files, could you be so kind as to declare an approximate size for the package as a whole, and if it is over a total of 5 MB in size, would you also indicate what the total number of individual ZIP or RAR files that the package consists of ?That might help folks who have more limited "legacy-capacity" E-Mail accounts decide whether they might even be able to receive your Tutorial described above... before they take any of your limited time with a request for an E-Mailed copy.Additionally, I'd like to say that I am honored to be considered as a potential contributor to the "Beginner's Guide To Scenery Design" project. :( Although my own time will also be rather heavily committed to projects for a good while into this new year, I'd be glad to offer some future input for such a noble endeavor when I can establish an opportunity to do so, and would be interested in knowing what any plans for the updated version might involve once it is underway.Again, many thanks... and best wishes for a happy, healthy New Year ! :( Regards,GaryGB

Unfortunately, it is no longer possible to attach zip files to this forum. If you want the entire spreadsheet, just provide an address.
Luis, I may find that spreadsheet useful. However, I think I won't be the only one interested, so it could be better if you can upload it somewhere (Rapidshare, Megaupload, etc) :( Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), ID-Cooling SE-224-XTS air cooler, Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

No, really, guys, it is not a very big deal. The document is only 143 kB (about 35 kB zipped) and contains 3 worksheets with the information. Since I have also added the map of FS X regions, the zip file is about 290 kB. It is based on the very large and very complex spreadsheet that the Terrain and Art Teams at ACES used to make the terrain features. They very kindly made that spreadsheet available to beta testers and their document is a 4 MB file (674 kB zipped.) I shall gladly send either one to anybody who requests them, but be advised that the ACES spreadsheet is extremely complex, long, and very difficult to understand even for experienced scenery designers, whereas my compilation contains most of the information that most of us need in what I hope is a very clear and legible format.Lo siento, Luis Miguel, I never use the RapidShare type sites for philosophical reasons! Also, I am very loyal to Tom and his web site (I mean Avsim, of course.) So, when I can, I shall place this document in the Avsim library.Gary, the way I see it, the forum is our responsibility since we use it. So, it is up to us to keep it going, to make it a lively and welcoming place, to create guides that help others join our community. That means that you are a prime candidate for contributing, along with many others who show up here, such as Lance, maybe David (although he seems to concentrate on FS 9), Luis Miguel (since he stuck his neck out in this thread!), and all others who take part and are willing. I simply propose to provide a basic text (when I can get around to it) and then ask as many of us here to take a look and add anything they think might be of use to beginner (and not-so-new) designers, something simple, yet covering many aspects. I shall get to work on this, and get back to you and others here when I can.Best regards and Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.Luis

Guest LCSims
Gary, the way I see it, the forum is our responsibility since we use it. So, it is up to us to keep it going, to make it a lively and welcoming place, to create guides that help others join our community. That means that you are a prime candidate for contributing, along with many others who show up here, such as Lance, maybe David (although he seems to concentrate on FS 9), Luis Miguel (since he stuck his neck out in this thread!), and all others who take part and are willing. I simply propose to provide a basic text (when I can get around to it) and then ask as many of us here to take a look and add anything they think might be of use to beginner (and not-so-new) designers, something simple, yet covering many aspects. I shall get to work on this, and get back to you and others here when I can.Best regards and Happy and Prosperous New Year to all.Luis
Luis,Thank You for your kind considerations. I'm just a hack, who has learned much from your sharing and efforts. Along with many others who comprise the development community. I'd be happy to assist you as best I can.Lance