Sign in to follow this  

C182RG VC: completely transparent windows...?

I bought the C182RG this week and I like it, but I do NOT like the very tinted glass, which spoils the view imho. It might be realistic... but I don't like it. :( I downloaded the HD textures from Orbx and with those the glass is almost transparent. But... it's a VERY heavy file and you still see some posts and so on. So I wondered: is it possible to get completely transparent windows in the VC?I like the plane btw: I like the original white panel more than the HD black one. And everything looks quite real, etc. and I really LOVE the sounds!!! I edited the GPS500 into the VC because I like to use that and now I am able to do everything from within the VC without need for popup windows. Great!

Well, I already found a way of getting it done. Here is how to do it for the Carenado C182RG, however instructions can be used for other aircraft as well, but the file you have to edit will be named differently obviously! :( NOTE: you may only edit these kind of files for your personal use! You may NOT, never ever, distribute these kind of (edited) files!!! Also backup files before editing and use these instructions at your own risk...1. Download and install DXTBmp.2. Run it and in the menu choose Prefs > Select Editor (I chose Photoshop). 3. Open the file called Plexi VC182 carenado.bmp and go to Alpha > Send Alpha to Editor.4. A file called trans.bmp will be opened in your editor. Fill the ENTIRE picture with black (RGB 0 0 0) and save the file (just as it is, so simply use Ctrl-S: no need for special settings).5. Go back to DXTBmp and go to Aplha > Refresh Alpha (you will see the Alpha Channel at the top right of the DXTBmp-window become completely black).6. Save the file as Extended Bitmap and choose DXT3 in the dropdown menu.That's it! 100% transparent windows! You can also use this method to tone down the effect of the windows, so instead of making the entire alpha channel black, you could select the grey parts (which form the transparency) and make them a bit (or a lot) darker to make the texture a bit (or a lot) more transparent.BTW I also added the GPS500 (which I like more than the other one) and the Bendix AP (from the default C172) for AP ALT as popup windows to the C182RG. At first I even added them to the VC, but I really missed the authentic look, so I reverted back to the original, beautiful VC, so now I can fly the plane as you are supposed to fly it, but when I feel like it, I can use the Bendix AP popup to enable AP ALT, which can be nice sometimes. :(

This was for FSX, but it might as well work this way for FS9, I guess!

Doesn't that look like no glass at all? A bit draughty I'd have thought!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.