Sign in to follow this  
ckyliu

DBS Studio's TCAS

The DBS Studio's TCAS reviewer failed to mention the perfectly fine free alternatives that exist, namely Lee Hetherington's IVSI TCAS IIv7, available for free at the Avsim file library - and I thought it was deserving of a mention. The gauge is fully complaint with TCAS IIv7 standards (excluding those that involve TCAS-TCAS communication), in fact the code is actually what underpins TCAS functionality in the PMDG 737.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...u&Go=SearchThe only difference I can spot between DBS's payware and Lee's freeware is that the former gets a fancy installer/configurator (which according to the review doesn't always work anyway), and in the later you have to mess with the panel.cfg yourself. Lee's also has the advantage of being able to use FS UIPC or trafficlook.dll which means it can pick up traffic on IVAO and VATSIM, without any additional actions from the user. If you can edit panel.cfg's yourself, I suggest you keep your €9 in your pocket. tcas_ii_7.0_installation_guide.zip in the file library can help you install the gauge if you're struggling.The only issue with Mr Hetherington's freeware TCAS is that I'm unaware if it works okay in FSX (it may well do), and you don't get the pretty frame of the DBS one (aw_tcas_msk_gr.zip in the file library provides you with a grey mask to use).May I be so bold as to suggest that Avsim reviewers should always attempt to mention and compare the products they are testing with comparable alternative products, both freeware or payware), if they exist.Chris.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

"May I be so bold as to suggest that Avsim reviewers should always attempt to mention and compare the products they are testing with comparable alternative products, both freeware or payware), if they exist."That can be a "Catch 22". I've had some reviewers to a side by side comparison of the same aircraft that were released at the same time by 2 different developers. Some love it, some don't, saying, "hey, I want my product reviewed as it stands by itself."While we can't please everyone, I think you made a good point of having a look within the AVSIM library for something similar if the reviewed item looks attractive but outside of your price range.

Thanks for the repsonse. I'm not saying it's necessary to do two full blown reviews in one (although I've seen it done and I'm fine with it myself), rather when a single product is reviewed, it would be nice to mention its competitors. Could just be a simple list of 2 or 3 similar products at the end of the review (maybe a link through to an Avsim review if one has been done), or preferably a brief paragraph which very quickly covers the major pros and cons of the alternatives without going indepth.Even more simply, drop in simple one line references mid review. e.g. "The systems are comprehensive, but failure to model a proper TCAS is disappointing when rivals such as PMDG's now dated 737 have had them for years" or "the instruments of Carenado's Archer II are perfectly fine, but Dreamfleet's Archer III is streets ahead thanks to their tie up with RealityXP which sees a fully-fledged Garmin GNS430 fitted".

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Guest jshyluk

I'm with Robert on this. Unless the circumstances precisely demand a direct comparison in a Review, each Reviewed product should stand alone in its own article. In this way, we can maintain the integrity of each article. Otherwise, we will be heading down a slippery slope of ever-increasing product comparisons and continual adjustments of subjective criteria. That being said, there are two things that we can do to accomodate your request: 1) You, Chris, become the dedicated Reviewer whose task it is to make all of the relevant comparisons in each and every Review. We would certainly welcome your kind efforts and all the work it would entail! 2) People can make these comparisons themselves outside of the Review in the appropriate AVSIM forum. That's mostly how it all works out anyways. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM