Sign in to follow this  
Captain Denton

Gerrish Grey Trees

Hello!I'm trying to find the tree add-on for FS2004 made by Gerrish Grey (http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=19575). Now, I realise the library was hacked some time ago and many files are obviously not working but does anyone know if the add-on is still available on AVSIM or somewhere else? I have several airfield add-ons pending installation since they require these trees.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They are available at most other download sites, specifically at Flightsim.com.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Yeah, found them. Unfortunately now they don't show up in FS. Even though I followed the read-me regarding the installation.

Yeah, found them. Unfortunately now they don't show up in FS. Even though I followed the read-me regarding the installation.
How did you install them?On my system the Trees_0.bgl is in my Scenery/Generic/scenery folder and the textures (bmps) are in my Main texture folder.They display properly when an addon scenery calls for their use.

The read-me file stated that the Trees_0.bgl file goes in the main fs2xxx .../Scenery folder and the 65 .bmp files in the fs2xxx .../Texture folder. I assumed those are:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\SceneryandC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Texturealthough according to your post now, I'm starting to think I messed it up somewhere. :( So you have the .bgl file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Generic?

The read-me file stated that the Trees_0.bgl file goes in the main fs2xxx .../Scenery folder and the 65 .bmp files in the fs2xxx .../Texture folder. I assumed those are:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\SceneryandC:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Texturealthough according to your post now, I'm starting to think I messed it up somewhere. :( So you have the .bgl file in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Generic?
Yep - in the scenery subfolder under Generic. It should work in either place but that is where I placed mine. Seems I read somewhere that it was a better location but I cannot be sure about that.In any case when a scenery enhacement calls for the use of his trees they do display properly for me.

Moved the .bgl file in the Generic sub-folder and no change. I also removed and re-added the airfield scenery, to "refresh" the scenery's look-up for the trees.Because here http://www.avsim.com/slovenia/slo_v_fs/fil...LJAJ_2k2vel.jpg you can see a bunch of trees near the hangar. I still haven't got them.Any ideas, what am I doing wrong? :(

Guest Gary Buska
Moved the .bgl file in the Generic sub-folder and no change. I also removed and re-added the airfield scenery, to "refresh" the scenery's look-up for the trees.Because here http://www.avsim.com/slovenia/slo_v_fs/fil...LJAJ_2k2vel.jpg you can see a bunch of trees near the hangar. I still haven't got them.Any ideas, what am I doing wrong? :(
When it comes to any scenery file for FS2004 you have to make sure of two things1) Make sure that you have activated it and have the correct path.2) The other thing that can cause issues is the level that you put the scenery.Fs9 Has a bad habit of assigning new scenery two a level of 1 and depending on what other scenery you happen to have it can cause problems because of another scenery can over write it. What I usually do in this case is to make sure the entry is the absolute last entry in your scenery cfg file and has the highest level and thus will be displayed last/This is why some can see it and others do not.A lot of people forget about this and scratch there heads as to why they can not see a scenery they just added.A good scenery designer will make a comment about this in a readme first file telling you to activate the scenery manually and not use the automatic method.All you have to do is to open your scenery cfg file go to the last entry and then using the same lines you see for the other scenery add the new scenery making sure to add 1 to the entry number and level number.Once done save the file and restart FS.

What is the name (the complete filename) of the scenery enhancement you are having problems with? I would like to download and install it to see if it is problematic for me also.

The read-me says not to activate anything special in the .cfg file?I'm really confused now...This is the text in the read-me file:

Unzip the contents of the file SCENERY.ZIP into your main <fs####>\scenery folder. This installs a single file called trees_0.bgl that contains all the tree objects. The same file works correctly with either FS2000 or FS2002. Now, if you are using FS2000, unzip the contents of FS2000.ZIP into your main <fs2000>\texture folder, or if you are using FS2002 unzip FS2002.ZIP instead and put its contents in the main <fs2002>\texture folder. Either will install the 65 tree_*.bmp and conifer_*.bmp files. The FS2000 versions can actually be used with either Flight Simulator version, whereas the improved FS2002 versions use the DirectX compressed DXT1 format and are not compatible with the older FS2000. Incidentally, the newer textures not only look better, they should also give a small improvement in frame rates. Note that no entry is required in the Scenery Library database (scenery.cfg). Because the library uses 'section 10' objects, the trees will automatically be found by any scenery that uses them. If you are using FS2000 and previously installed an older version of the library, you may have put it in a special folder within the <fs2000>\scenedb structure, with its own entry in scenery.cfg. This is fine for FS2000, and you could put the replacements there too if you wish, but this method of installation does NOT work satisfactorily with FS2002, which seems to have a different method for finding textures associated with library files, and may display the trees as untextured white "boards" if the texture bitmaps are not found the main fs2002\texture folder.
As far as I understand this, I just put the files in the right folders and they should fire away?EDIT:
What is the name (the complete filename) of the scenery enhancement you are having problems with? I would like to download and install it to see if it is problematic for me also.
The airfield addon is located here: http://www.avsim.com/slovenia/slo_v_fs/fil.../LJAJ_FS2k2.zip

Question we have not asked I think...........Are you trying to use this scenery in FS2002 or FS2004?I downloaded it from the link you provided and it does not display at all for me on my FS2004 setup and I do not have FS2002 to check it there.There does not appear to be an afcad for the airport which FS2004 would need in order to have it come up as a choice.Would you clarify please?

I installed the scenery in FS9 and the scenery displays fine. It does not show up in the airport selection window or on the map. In the download is a chart. Looking at the chart you will see to the west of this airport is an Italian airport that you can select and fly east from to get there.I suspect the OP has installed the trees_0.bgl in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Generic and not in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Generic\scenery.Hope this helps,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

I installed the scenery in FS9 and the scenery displays fine. It does not show up in the airport selection window or on the map. In the download is a chart. Looking at the chart you will see to the west of this airport is an Italian airport that you can select and fly east from to get there.I suspect the OP has installed the trees_0.bgl in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Generic and not in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\Generic\scenery.Hope this helps,Joe
Thanks for the tip on finding it Joe - it and the trees display just fine for me also on my FS2004 (XP) system.I tend to agree that the OP has likely not placed the bgl correctly.

Finally, we have trees over there! :( I moved the .bgl to the .../Scenery/Generic/scenery folder and now it works okay.Regarding the airfield itself: yes it doesn't show up in the airport selection screen nor the GPS or anything that uses FS facilities database for that matter. Additional AFCAD files are required for that but I believe that won't pose a problem to do. N60JBravo is correct about the way to get to this airfield (LJAJ) - from LIPG (Gorizia) and heading east if that AFCAD file is not installed.Thanks for the help. :(