Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milamber

One more Water Observation

Hi all,Bumpmaps...From what I've experienced (and read), using bumpmap graphics apparently provides the best "overall" water effect. I just want to try and clear up one thing:Bumpmap rendering is NOT animated. It looks good and it reflects ambient light; but it does not shimmer in the sun and the waves on the surface do not move. Waves are still visible lapping along shorelines; but there is not any wave movement, rippling, etc. in open water.I'm not stating this as fact... I'm saying this is what I'm seeing on my system. If I'm wrong - please correct me!Regards,Marc

Hi, BumpMaping is A shading function used to render a textured surface, using a grayscale image that varies the apparent surface roughness and of the object by randomly perturbing its surface normal in a way that affects light-reflection calculations, adding texture and detail without increasing the number of polygons. ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFs

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Hi Chris,Don't you ever sleep? :-) I really like the bumpmap rendering - I just want to verify once-and-for-all that this rendering technique is not meant to be animated. The old 2002 method doesn't look as good...but it does move a little (if you look real hard). I just want to clarify that the bumpmap graphics are NOT supposed to move, shimmer, etc. by design. As an aside, I want to thank you for all the good advice you've provided on this forum over the past few weeks. You have been a busy man and I want you to know that your tips, opinions, observations, and web links have made it much easier for me to get FS2004 up and running.Thanks again,Marc

I'm with Marc on this; I thank you Chris for all your recent informative posts, and I also ask: don't you sleep? :)

Guest Ken Meier

My thanks as well Chris, for the FS9 and all of your past contributions.K

Guest Milamber

Actually they do move...I finally was able to see the bump mapping effects around dawn or dusk...Later in the day the effects just produce a texture on the surface which looks like shadows on the waves but doesn't look as good as it does during the dawn/dusk hours when the waves do move.